Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flattopfred

Dixon 428 drive cone replacement

flattopfred
14 years ago

Anyone ever tackled the job of replacing the cones in a Dixon standard transaxle and the re-adjusting of the whole thing? How bad is it? Or is it bad at all?

Comments (8)

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Well the really bad news is that with a 428 you have to take the body off and put it back on to try out OR make a test seat. (plus it is old)

Email me at address below, put in proper format, and I will send you some pages on adjustment etc. Thirty years experience.

Walt Conner
    wconner at verizon dot net

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Must not have wanted help on Dixon after all.

Walt Conner

• flattopfred
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, would still love the information. I tried sending 4 different e-mails to your address but they kept coming back saying undeliverable. I did put your address in the correct format. Can you send me the address again so I can check it? I did not re-post because i did not think you would get the mssg. Any help will still be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Sorry about that. I do not post my actual address because of the "Crawlers" that harvest email addresses automatically from such forums for Spam. OK, I see the problem, I left out the 5 again.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at verizon dot net

• tinefarmer_aol_com
    12 years ago

Ihave a mod. 428 need info on replacing cones.
    Thanks

• donf120
    11 years ago

How to replace cones and adjusting on Dixon 428 ZTR

• walt2002
    11 years ago

IF you are trying to reach me, my address changed due to sale of service provider. Put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• Josh Kepler
    8 years ago

I just came across a Dixon ztr428 for free. It was on a trailer going to the dump. Looked like it was in ok shape. I've never played with one or new much about em. I get the thing home, leaves and mud are in the carb.... No air box .... Drive chains are off ... I put a battery in it and see there's no spark ... So.... I take care of all these problems cleaning it up bought a new coil and now fired right up and I think runs pretty good. I got 45 bucks in it.

So now I test ride it and when it engages it makes a pretty annoying noise,. I don't no if this is normal considering the friction cones . It does ride around ...ok... I can tell it needs adjusted just not sure if the sound is normal. Visually the cones look fine I don't see any wear on them.

Then after that I need to figure out how to install the belt that runs from the clutch to the mower deck that is missing

i see this was an old discussion just wondering if your still out there?

Sponsored