Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Storm Pictures

lblack61
17 years ago

{{gwi:332329}}

The Porch: Some wintersowing leftovers/carry-overs from last year are under there

{{gwi:332330}}

The Porch...after I dug a path to the driveway (and my garden buddy Nikki)

The BackDoor (there's stairs that lead up to it. Now, just jump in the snow to exit, pray you don't hit anything) There's five bags of 5-7 milk jugs each of WSing under there somewhere.

{{gwi:332332}}

Another view from the backdoor. That's an old maple tree and an old shed (that we still use) The riding lawn mower is there somewhere, covered in tarp...(we need a garage):

{{gwi:332334}}

The Lilac Bushes have no legs...almost no neck either!

{{gwi:332336}}

Our pine tree...with a trench dugout to the bird feeders (which have been VERY busy this week)

{{gwi:332337}}

It's been calm and sunny today so far. Two days in a row. Much appreciated!

Comments (14)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

WOW!! What my daughter would give to have that snow! We've been cold here, but there's barely an inch of snow on the ground and she has yet to give her Christmas sleigh a try.

I've been watching you on the news every AM and it seems you get more and more each day. Your backbones must be really good to keep up with the shovelling. I know I'd be in the hospital by now. We have great neighbours which help us out. Hope you do too!!

Stay warm!
    Nicole.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

Boy, oh, boy.
    We had only 4 - 5 inches and the traffic was already a mess.
    I feel for you. It's a beauty, though.

• shirley1md
    17 years ago

What a wild & exciting Winter season you are having! Bundle up and try to stay warm!

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's something else...never has the weatherman been so RIGHT! They said that our particular area wouldn't get snow until early afternoon. I looked out the window and it's total white-out conditions.
    My husband was snowblowing, just to cut down some of the snow banks, and he wound up having to snowblow the driveway three times. It IS falling four inches per hour!
    It is like Ground Hog day. Deja Vu all over again this week!

Tiffy, bring your daughter on down! I'd be happy to share
    :-) This is great snow for making tunnels. I remember doing that when I was a kid!
    I'll post more pictures soon...I'm trying to get one of Nikki lying on top of a snow bank (she LOVES the snow)

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

Honey, you deserve a Caribbean vacation. Or a trip to Hawaii. Like NOW!

Karen

• PVick
    17 years ago

A Bahamavention! LOL!

Oh, I love the looks of it - so much cleaner than when it snows in the city! I sure wouldn't love to have to deal with it though ...

Keep warm and safe and well!

PV

• hoehum
    17 years ago

I get less than Buffalo so can't begin to imagine what 7 feet would be like. I do hope it melts slowly.

I saw the roof rakes in action on tonight's news (along with teenagers complaining that they'd rather be in school than shoveling).

Keep warm and enjoy the bragging rights!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oswego newspaper

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Alice,

Is Nikki a lab? I have a Black Lab too called Raven - great gardening buddies they make!

I remember doing those tunnels when I was young. Such fun they were.

My father was the only doctor for our community so he had priority over the snowplows. I remember one night when he had three women which were about to deliver their babies in a snowstorm which dumped 5 feet of snow. One was 40 miles away, another 30 mile and the other 5 miles. All were delivered safely in their homes. My father had impeccable timing and seemed to know which one would come first!

But we don't get the snow we used to get here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Wish we did so our kids could enjoy it.

You are topping he Canadian news this morning too - another 60cm coming your way.

Stay safe and warm!

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tiffy,
    Nikki is actually a German Shepard-Border Collie mix, but it's kinda hard to see all her hair in a picture (she is a HAIRY thing!) She definitely has the hearding instinct of a Border Collie (she watches out for the cats and defends them no matter how mean some of them are to her, despite the fact she could eat them in two gulps).

Karen and PV, a Bahamavention sounds really nice right about now. This must be why my dad goes home to Jamaica this time every year since I was a kid!

Hoehum,
    I wish I could PASS on the bragging rights (LOL)! Some things it's better to be on the low end of. But I look at the positives of it all. This will be good for the farmers (and my garden too). And a lot of people around here are on a well (we still have ours too). No one should have to call for water this coming summer (it's 50 bucks a delivery!).

Imagine that people were trudging through all this kind of stuff during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812! Even with horse and buggies before cars existed! Yeow.

Here's a few more pictures:

One of our cats managed to get under the porch yesterday morning and was scared to come back out. There's 5 feet of snow in that spot, but it's pretty "good packin'". Still, I don't know how Mario managed to get in there:
    {{gwi:332339}}
    {{gwi:332341}}
    Here's Nikki, the "Snow Doggers" we call her! I still want to catch a pic of her lying on top of a snow bank, as she loves to do:
    {{gwi:332343}}
    Here she is again, looking like a rabid racoon...lol. (And yes, that is the way the porch looked yesterday, after it snowed again):
    {{gwi:332345}}
    We're going snowshoeing this morning, so hopefully I'll have more pictures from AWAY from the house for a change :-)

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a link to more pictures people sent in to a local TV station:
    http://www.news10now.com/shared/gallery/?GalleryID=45
    http://www.news10now.com/shared/gallery/?GalleryID=46
    http://www.news10now.com/shared/gallery/?GalleryID=47
    http://www.news10now.com/shared/gallery/default.asp?
    (You can paste and cut these links or just go to this main page and click the right side of the screen where it says, "Photo Gallery" :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: News 10 Now Storm Pictures

• albertar
    17 years ago

Wow Linda, those pictures are something else. Think it will melt by May? Are you anywhere near Rome, NY? I have a cousin who lives there and wondering if they are getting the same thing.
    Stay warm if possible.
    Alberta

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm maybe an hour or so from Rome. It's east of us, in Oneida County, and Oneida County was getting some of this as well. Our local news did show closings for that area last week. I don't know exactly how bad it got though.
    Thanks for the well wishes :-)
    Linda

• neonposey
    17 years ago

OMG! your pictures are gorgeous but I can't imagine so much snow! Just a forcast of flurries closes down schools here! LOL.

Please stay warm and dry. Your 4 legged babies are beautiful.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love my 4-legged babies :-) They sit in a semi-circle around me outdoors when I'm gardening.

With snow, most of the battle is having the equipment to take care of it. Everyone has snowblowers and snowplows, some even have those cool Kubota front loaders (we want one...some day). It's a lot easier than the ice you folks get down south. But I do chuckle when I think of when I lived in Atlanta, rode Marta all the way to school while snow dusted across the asphalt, only to find school was closed. I was like, "Why? What for?" lol

Sponsored