Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkgrower

WANTED: Think about a new W-I-N-T-E-R-S-O-W-I-N-G round robin s

newyorkgrower
13 years ago

Think about a new W-I-N-T-E-R-S-O-W-I-N-G round robin swap.

I noticed this swap this past winter posted here. I don't think it is too early to start to think about another.

I would love to host.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• ohiovalleygardener
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie and don't have much but count me in. Sounds great. Vicci

• PVick
    13 years ago

Last year's was hosted by token, and was, according to all reports, a big success! He's ready to hand over the reins to anyone who wants them, so your post in right on time.

You might want to post this on the main forum too .. or check out this thread:

50 Containers

PV

• lgslgs
    13 years ago

Hi Newyorkgrower -

It's nice to see your enthusiasm in jumping in with the generous offer.

Not meaning to put a negative spin on anything, but I personally am generally most comfortable in participating in round robins hosted by people who already have a track record of being active (or somewhat active) forum participants.

I realize that you might have been around for a while reading and participating that way, but your Gardenweb ID shows you have been registered only a few weeks and have only made two posts - and that includes this one here.

Hosting a round robin can be quite an undertaking - and I would feel more comfortable sending seeds to someone who's been registered on Gardenweb for longer than that, and who has been real part of the conversation flow for a while. In fact, with personal trades I always check registration date. type of posts made, and the rate and review forum before agreeing to a trade.

I would not at this time join a round robin hosted by someone with your number of posts and registration date - but would be happy do so next year after you've made some WS forum posts and shared your WS stories, successes and photos with the group. :)

Lynda

• newyorkgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi will that makes 3 including me. And I have a friend that would join us who posts here and on another site.

I would add, that folks have to start someplace, as I see it.... I am too old to be running off with someone's seeds. So if trust is an issue here, better to get involved only if you can "give it a try"...

Ok, I will admit I don't post much, nor do I share pics. I think it is because I started on another site as this one was very hard to join and very hard to get started with.

But I can say if anyone is looking for me to post a lot, and base their decisions on that, well I am sorry.... I am not a big poster, but I sure am big on honesty and reliability. AND again I am far too old and "big" to be running down the road with a stolen bag of seeds.

Be well all.

Nancy.

• ramazz
    13 years ago

This particular swap was actually hosted by conniesc last year and was completely different than token's swap. Connie's swap involved sending seeds from plants whose names started with the letters in WINTERSOWING.

I personally don't have any problem with Nancy hosting this, but courtesy dictates that Connie be contacted to see if she is planning to host it again herself. I remember once in the Round Robin group where someone took over a swap and the originator was rather hurt.

At least two people offered to take over token's swap and I thought that he had accepted someone else's offer already. You can look at the link posted previously to see who that is.

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: W-I-N-T-E-R-S-O-W-I=N-G swap original post

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Thank you Becky. I was thinking the same thing but I did not take the time to go back and look at the posts. I was kind of looking for token's swap to be posted soon, which I think preceded Connie's swap last year when I saw this thread and I got a little confused.
    Nancy, there is no reason you can't create and host your own unique wintersowing seed swap unrelated to either of the existing swaps. I'll sign up for it!
    Alana

• daisydawnny
    13 years ago

I participated in Token's swap last year and it was wonderful. I have been in hopes that someone else would step up and host another swap. If there is one you can count me in. (I do not post much but read every day)

• newyorkgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all... I replied to a message I recieved in my email and I thought the reply would be posted on this board, but I see it is not here. If it does turn up, forgive the double post.....

"Gosh I had no idea that this (my original post) would cause a bit of "fuss" if I can use that word and no one gets upset.

I just thought that a swap might be done, (and) that it was not too early to "think" about doing it and would host no problem becasue I had the time.

Someone else suggested I might want to take over another persons. Let me say I am not looking to step on any ones toes, and certainly would rather start "my own" if it takes the hassel out of things, so to speak due to my original posting.

I just kinda feel if there are folks that want to think about doing a swap now, and want to swap with me and others that I would host, because I am retired and have the time.

Nancy.

PS... I might add I don't look at this as being "my own", it is just a figure of speech. I am happy to join a swap, if some one else wants to host it. Or I can put in the time and do it. It really makes no difference to me.

I don't think there should be any feelings of toes being stepped on or hurt feelings. We are not children right? If someone has shown they are responsibe and can do this fine, if however another person starts one, a person should not be offended. At some point in our lives we all want to "step up and be noticed" I think in one way or another. And this is a way for some folks to have that notice, and there is nothing wrong with that. The thing that is honorable in the effort, is the "carring it thru to the end (or till the seeds come up.. hee hee..)", not many of us can do that.

So, as far as I am concerned... I have seeds and if there is a round robin, called Winter sow or "put it in the ground and grow it"... I don't much care. I am simply interested in a swap.

Have a nice day all.

• ramazz
    13 years ago

My suggestion then, which repeats what others have said, is that you start a NEW post, with a NEW swap that has an original name that won't be confused with the ones that went before. I think this group of wintersowers will sign up for as many swaps as are out there. I did both token's and conniesc's last year, as well as several on the Round Robin site, so I will also be watching for you to get your swap rolling.

Becky

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Ditto what Becky and others have said.

It sounds like there is enough interest.

Why don't you post a new swap on the Round Robin Exchange Forum and post a reminder on the Winter Sowing Forum inviting people to join.

Members who may not read posts on this forum will see the post on the Round Robin forum.

• newyorkgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all....

I have gotten some emails I don't see here so I think they are personal and will remain so.

I really don't want to spend the time emailing over this and I kinda feel I have already spend too much time with emails and posting on this board.

And since it seems to me I have upset some folks, and that was not my intention.... I am taking my ball and going home... LOL my seeds and going home.

I guess this group is friendly, but I post more on Dave's Garden, and have visited with folks there to exchange plants and get started grwoing. My postings there were well welcomed, and I enjoyed it there.

I find getting on this site in general hard, but persisted. I am not interested anymore in doing this here since it has created such a stir, and it seems I have stepped on some folks toes. That doesn't mean I will not be posting now and then but for now, I really don't want to deal with the politics.

For those who would like to trade with me away from this board, please be in contact.

Thanks for your input.

Nancy.

• newyorkgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg0823363928959.html

Hi all. Because of the mixed information, comments and emotional responses in emails I received, (which are not here,) the postings herein, and my feelings about the whole thing, I decided not to continue on here, but rather to start new posting. The link is above. Anyone interested in participating. Please do so.

Thanks

Nancy.

NYGrower.

Sponsored