Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vlynnf

color changes in my huechera

Vicki
13 years ago

I thought huecheras were supposed to do well in shade but I am wondering if some varieties need sun for proper coloration. I have 2 in mostly shade, a dark purple variety and peach flambe. Both have changed color to a dull grey green. The peach flambe had some bright red on the edges but the rest is a gray green, nothing like the peachy color it was in early spring. The dark purple has no purple anymore. Anyone know what is causing these color changes? Is it too much shade? They get a few hours of filtered morning sun only.

Comments (10)

• tepelus
    13 years ago

All of mine go through a color change too, it's just their nature. My Peach Flambe is doing the same thing as yours. In the fall, they may change color again. Some will change more than others, some, like Obsidian, still look almost like they did in the spring. I think dark ones like Obsidian, though not an expert as I've only been growing them a couple years now, tend to keep their color better than the lighter ones. That's just my observation from my own plants. But, yes, they do change color with the seasons.

Karen

• paul_
    13 years ago

You could experiment and put one of your Peaches and one of your purples where it will get a lot more sun and see what happens.

As Karen said, it could be that the color change for those heus you have is inevitable. I have a 'Plum Pudding' (a purple) planted out in full sun and it has lost much of its purple -- but definitely not all. However I also have some 'Midnight Roses' and an 'Obsidian' (both purples) planted in the same area and both are still holding their color well.

While this is the case for those I have, I do know that many plants that are varigated or have other-than-green foliage often will revert to green if light levels are insufficient. Whether your heucheras are in this category, I can't say with confidence.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    13 years ago

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info online when you Google "Heuchera culture". Some sites say these are shade plants others say full sun. It might have to do with what part of the country you're in. I would suspect if you're in the South, probably more shade would be advised.

Over the years, I've experimented with different locations and finally settled on an Eastern exposure with sun the first half of the day. A Western exposure is just too hot IMO and full shade does not work at all with the varieties I grow.

But yes, most of these do change color as the season progresses. The most vibrant colors being in early spring to early summer and then a gradual fading through the rest of the season. I still love 'em all anytime of the year.

Kevin

• marquest
    13 years ago

I tried them in my shade garden with the hostas. They did not do well. It seems they are not a shade plant I have been having better luck with morning sun afternoon shade with the variety I am growing.

All of mine change with the seasons. When you see pics they always show the season color that is the prettiest. LOL.

• Vicki
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I've had rasberry ice for years now in filtered sun and they have never changed color throughout the entire growing season. I was really excited about the peach flambe, but this is a real disappointment. I'll try it in more sun next year but IMO right now they look downright ugly.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

My Peach Flambe and Obsidian are in mostly sun all day until late afternoon. The Obsidian does still look dark gray of course, but the Peach Flambe still has a lot of reddish orange tones to it.
    They will change colors on you, but yes, they can take more sun than you think. Try putting them in a little more sunny location and see what happens. Not all day direct glaring sun, but a little more. :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

In contrast to Paul's "Plum Pudding" experience above, my P.P. in full sun have a rich, deep coloration - they are superb! The ones I planted in part-shade lost that coloration, many of the leaves turned greenish-purple, they just aren't nearly as attractive as the clumps in full sun.

I'm interested to see what will happen with the "Peach Flambe" I planted a few weeks ago. I was jonesing these SO BAD last year, I decided to purchase three this year. The color was more vibrant when I bought/first planted them, now they're just kind of a dull "eh" color. Is this one of those that looks different in different seasons/periods of new growth? They're in partial shade.

The "Citronelle" I planted last fall I was not lovin' this spring - the color was just, I don't know, kind of a jarring ugly yellow. However, as they filled out in the spring, they've settled into a vibrant greenish-yellow, a much more pleasing color to my eye (still yellow, but has a greenish cast, not straight-up yellow), really brightens a shady area. So far, this new-to-me variety is a winner, but I do have problems with Heuchera petering out on me, so time will tell.

So, yea, definitely notice color changes in Heuchera.

I wonder if the soil has anything to do with it - ?.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

I also just purchased three "Midnight Rose", got them planted on Sunday, in part-shade. Will this cultivar lose it's coloration in part-shade? I really want a purple in this location, but the "Plum Pudding" changed on me, as I mentioned (so I moved them). Hope the M.R. will stay a deeper purple...

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I have 'Midnight Rose' in full sun(moist heavy soil) and part shade (morning sun and very late afternoon sun). They both look great and they both look the same.

in my 9-2 sun, Obsidians are holding up well. just a touch of green undertones if you look hard. Plum Pudding is still good looking, but slightly fading.

I dug up Amber Waves (was in almost full sun) and its in a pot that I've been moving around to see where it might look good. Its a weird one.

Peach Flambe seems to be coming through seasonal color changes fine without turning me off. It gets awesome color in the winter. Its in morning sun.

• fernzilla
    13 years ago

From my experiences Heucheras are a cool weather plant. They produce most of thier growth in cool weather, and the most
    vibrant colors are in the Spring and Fall. My Dolce Key Lime Pie look fabulous in the Spring, but by Summer thier beautiful
    Chartreuse colors have faded to a dull green. My Plum Pudding, Montrose Ruby, Silver Scrolls, Marvelous Marble all
    look much prettier in cooler weather. I think in the Hot Humid South it is better to provide a partially shaded location.