Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcbdz_gw

Amaranthus

mcbdz
15 years ago

Ok, I'm new to this wsing but, am starting to get obsessed with seeds and sowing. So, can anyone give me their experience with any of the Amaranthus . I have been ordering these seeds like crazy and hope they look as great as the pics I can find on searches. Would love to see your pics of them in the garden if you have any.

Pattie

Comments (13)

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I'd also like to see pics. I received several different types in the santa swap. Did anyone wintersow these? What month?
    As I've been going through my seeds, I think I have finally sorted all of my annuals separately. I'd love to hear from a Georgia wintersower about when you sow the annuals. Thanks! Nikki

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Well, sorry, no pics, but I wintersow amaranthus every year. They will also reseed for you if you let them. I usually sow about 4 or 5 different kinds. Last year I sowed most of mine in mid-March. Don't know about timing down south there!

There are some good photos on the thread linked below.

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: amaranthus thread on Annuals forum

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

They re-seed like crazy for me. Winter sow and enjoy. If I was doing them now, I would put them near the end of my list, but anytime would be OK.

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks diggerdee and bakemom, I was just not sure when to sow for our zone and would love to see different ways people grow them.
    Anyone else have experience or pics?
    These are the ones I have seeds of so far:Love Lies Bleeding, Molten Fire, Illumination, and plan on Perfecta, and Aurora.
    Pattie

• northforker
    15 years ago

Here are some amaranthus LLB and pigmy torch. Hope this works...have not tried to post pics in awhile

{{gwi:345844}}{{gwi:345846}}If they don't show up here, you should be able to follow the link below to my 2008 garden pics and find them.

• northforker
    15 years ago

Here are some amaranthus LLB and pigmy torch. Hope this works...have not tried to post pics in awhile

{{gwi:345844}}{{gwi:345846}}If they don't show up here, you should be able to follow the link below to my 2008 garden pics and find them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 garden pics

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

LLB with my 6 ft. husband
    {{gwi:260821}}

Aurora, Illumination, Perfecta
    {{gwi:309589}}

Karen
    Aurora, Illumination, Perfecta

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW, Beautiful. I'm so glad I got some. I hope they do as good for me.Pattie

• PVick
    15 years ago

Amaranthus beauty overload! --
    Check out these pics from Angie (agirlsgirl)

• dem_pa
    15 years ago

A few from 2007. All winter sown.
    Hot Biscuits. Very tall. Many seeds.
    {{gwi:345850}}

Fat spike or elephant head.
    {{gwi:345852}}

Marvel bronze.
    {{gwi:345854}}

Don (dem_pa)

• tndandelion
    15 years ago

I was never an amaranthus fan until a girlsgirl (Angie) posted her pictures from her garden. That is one of my "must haves" for this year.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Here are a few pics of 'Intense Purple' one of which I'll never need sow again! These particular ones will self-sow like no tomorrow. I had big patches out there this past spring that were carpet thick...spent LOTS of time hoeing and thinning out on hands and knees!
    These all came up on the perimeter of the beds on the east side of the house which is gravel road!
    {{gwi:345857}}
    This is in one of the beds on that side where melon was planted...a gazillion volunteers here as well!
    {{gwi:345859}}
    Volunteered here next to volunteer Verbena bonariensis
    {{gwi:345861}}
    Here is Love-lies-Bleeding in 2004. By the time this pic was taken they needed propped up! I only had 1-3 plants volunteer for me the following years. Seed is great for breads, cereal, ect. Nutty good flavor :)
    {{gwi:4347}}

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now I just can wait. I'm also sowing the Josh's Coat. I just have to decide where they are all going so everyone can experience them. :o). I'm just in AAAAHHH. Keep those pics comin'. Maybe it will help me make it until They start sprouting. LOL.
    Pattie

Sponsored