Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Seeds 20/$1

molanic
11 years ago

Just an FYI that Menards has the Valley Greene seeds at 20/$1 (limit 40) this week. These are the common open pollinated varieties of veggies and annual flowers that you see every year at Menards, Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar Store, etc. Not a huge selection, but good for the basics. This is the cheapest I have ever seen them, they are usually 5 or 10 for $1. Even though I have TONS of seeds I had to pick up some more. There are plenty of things like radishes and zinnias that I sow a lot of every year but never harvest seed from. This is a good cheap way to replenish my supply. They also have their other seeds out on display too.

Comments (11)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

I don't live anywhere near a Menards. Bummer! Would you like to trade with me for some of your radish seed packets? Please check out my trade list and let me know if you'd like to trade.
    Thanks, Jen

This post was edited by jensyen on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 14:09

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

We don't have a Menard's. The closest is in PA.

• molanic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry jensyen but I just got as much radish seed as I think I will use this year. Don't worry for those of you not near a Menards. These are the same cheapie seed packets that many stores carry to get you into the store. I have seen them from "Valley Greene" and "American Seed". Menards just seems to have put them out a little earlier than usual this year and for a little cheaper. But still at 10/$1 they are a good deal. Walmart should have them out soon if not already. I think last year Walgreens advertised them in February with a coupon in their flyer. Many have found them in the dollar stores too.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Rural King usually will have super good deals on seeds, I've bought from them and Menards.

I buy LOTS of radish seed, usually by the pound, because that's what I plant as row markers, plus radishes when they bloom discourage some pests.

• emcd124
    11 years ago

Bummer. I was just at Menards but I didnt see any seed sales. May have to check back...

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

These seeds are usually on a cardboard displayer. The displayer in our store was very depleted.

One person asked how I used the radish seeds as row markers. Since radishes germinate SO fast, mix them with beets or other slower germinating seeds, and plant them together in the rows. Hope this explains why I use SO many.

Also radish seeds have a long shelf life, I have some that are almost 10 years old. I just keep the seeds in canning jars with lids on them. Whenever possible I use the old blue/green jars for the seeds, since I will not can in them.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Interesting idea about the radishes.

Why won't you use the old blue or green jars for canning? I have one of them that I think was my grandmother's. Are they dangerous or something?

Caryl

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

A local supermarket's florist had a bucketful of free seeds in packages yesterday. Apparently one just need to keep an eye open for these things, could happen anywhere at anytime, apparently.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

Aren't you lucky! That kind of stuff never happens to me. :)

• lissatink
    11 years ago

I went to the dollar tree yesterday. They had 5 packs for a dollar. I had to force myself not to buy any. I have accumulated so many seeds in the last few months.

• anajackson
    11 years ago

Hey ,

There are some best Blue Fly Coupon Codes For US,UK,Canada,Australia People.But these are know worldwide.So any one who is interested in Coupon can Check our page and get his coupons.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueFly Coupons And Promo Codes February 2013

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County