Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadie2005_gw

lots of worms in potting soil

sadie2005
15 years ago

I know in the garden and compost I love worms...but I opened a new bag of potting soil, had been in my storage room for a few months, and it was teeming with worms...is this normal? I am not scared of worms but there were so many that it kind of grossed me out.

Comments (13)

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Are we talking earth worms or something lots grosser like say maggots...larvae?

Vera

• sadie2005
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These were definitely not maggots. They looked like earthworms, granted smaller and skinnier, but I figured that just b/c they were young? they were several inches long.

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

It sounds like the potting soil you bought had some natural compost in it, and some worms came along for the ride. If they look like earthworms (even shorter and skinnier), they're earthworms.

In other words, you got a BONUS!

Sue

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Won't the freeze thaw cycle kill them off if she w/s with it? Heck, I might want to save those little buggers for in the garden in the spring... or else they might die trying to go deeper to get warm?

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

You can pick them out,put them in a bucket,w/a lid,throw in your table scrapes,a little cardboard,a few leaves,and they will be just fine,and multiply.
    I have a worm bin in my kitchen.
    Carol

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Carol, do you just use the 'regular' worms :) in your bin?
    I thought they had to be a special kind, like red ones or something, but would be interested to know.
    gg

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi gg,
    Mine are the red wigglers,i started my bin last year,it is a three tire set up,and i just love them.
    All my table scrapes go right into the bin,there is no smell,no one even knowes it is a worm bin.
    Sadie said they were small and skinny,so, i am assumming they are red wigglers.
    My bin has a spicket on it,so you can drain it and get the liquid gold,( :0) ) for watering your plants,plus,every now and then,you clean it up a bit,and get the most fluffy,organic soil,so good.
    And, if that is not enough, you tripple your worms,in no time flat,you can sell them, or share with some one who wants to start up a worm farm of their own.It is a really neet hobby,and so earth friendly.
    Carol

• sadie2005
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure they were earthworms. At the time, it was the only bag of soil left and I was geared up to sow, so I used it. I hope I don't get bad WSing Karma since the little worms then got put outside! vermicomposting does sound cool though. My kids would love it.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Carol when am I coming for dinner? Lol My dad was so finicky he wouldnt eat if there was a cat in the house..Even if they were trained. I Cant imagine worms...Lucky they are hidden..LOL

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Sadie,your children would love to raise worms,it actually might be a little boring for them,you hardly ever see them, they scurry down at the slightest movement of the lid,i think you would enjoy them more,a great way to compost,and the rewards are so good for us gardeners.

Rose,ha ha,your dad would not like it over here then, i have two cats who run this house,and a worm bin,in the kitchen no less,wanna see a picture of it?

Carol

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Carol, where do you get the red wigglers to begin with? can you use any type of container, and how often do you have to clean it out? any other special treatment?.....not that I am going to do this right now. :) I do find it interesting though so maybe some day.
    gg

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

yes, please share some more info on it. I have regular compost pile but maybe I could add some worms too...

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Lol Carol....he was a old farm boy from Illinois...Yes inquiry minds want to know........Ps I have a cat..LOL

Sponsored