Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

A hello, a photo - and a question!

AnneCecilia z5 MI
15 years ago

Hello to all of you AV lovers - I have been lurking on this forum (and learning a lot!) for over a year now and this is my first post. I grow 16 "noids" and they are my delight in winter when I can't be in my rose garden. I just purchased my first mini AV's from a store in a nearby city. I could have easily walked out with a dozen of these little cuties, but I limited myself to four - for now, LOL. Here they are:

{{gwi:362158}}

Now my question: I was thinking when I bought them that I would need to repot them right away because they were in such tall narrow little pots. I found out at home that they actually are in proper short pots, (quite the size of a 3 oz. dixie cup) but the pot sits on top of about a half inch or so of white sand in the bottom of the taller black pot cover. Is this a good system and should I leave them as is, at least for now? I have never used a wicking system on any of my AV's as of yet, but I'm thinking I might want to on the minis as I am worried about keeping them properly watered. They're just so tiny and would dry out so fast if I didn't watch them carefully. Any suggestions? TIA,

Anne

Comments (11)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Anne,
    I grow all my minis and semis in 3oz plastic Solo bathroom cups. I wick them with 2 plies of acrylic yarn and use a 1-1-1 mix. If I can I always try to repot ASAP mainly because so many AV's are potted into a mix which is almost all peat. However more important that repotting is to isolate your new plants. Keep them away from your older hybrids just until you are sure they are disease free.
    Fred in NJ

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Fred for mentioning the soil issue - you're right, the mix does look like its mostly peat. The minis are isolated in my kitchen for now, far away from the other plants. That worked out perfectly since the little minis are small enough to perch on the windowsill (east exposure.) I have yarn and will try putting in a wick when I repot these in a better mix. Thank you so much for your response.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Hi Anne---I too have been lurking here---trying to find out all I can about these lovely plants----they are so nice and cheerful to hold us over till our roses start to bloom---
    I've always had African Violets (except for the last two years)but really never knew a whole lot about the proper care----
    Did I understand right that all new plants should be repotted???? I guess I should post the question.
    Good luck with your new babies----

Florence/zeffyrose

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Florence,

All new plants, regardless of where they came from, should be isolated for 4-6 weeks to make sure they aren't infested or diseased.

I like to repot my new plants because it puts them in my soil mix and puts them on the same growing level as my other plants. I usually remove the blooms and older leaves and then repot and isolate.

After having spent the past 120 days trying to get rid of thrips, I have an entirely new appreciation for infestations and disease and how one bad plant can affect an entire collection. When you have 3 or 4 plants, it doesn't seem like a big deal but when your collection grows and you have time/$ invested - it means a LOT.

Sure hope you stay out of lurking and keep posting.

Dora

• Hareball
    15 years ago

Hi :) I have 3 av's. You can't just buy one. I'll see one left over in a grocery store or a Lowe's that looks lonely and I can't help myself. :) I actaully have all 3 growing in self-watering pots with av soil and I keep them in the bay window of my kitchen. They are doing great. I didn't know anything about them before. Luckily I seem to be doing a good job. Maybe let them grow out a little more before putting them in a bigger pot.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Dora---thanks for your information-----I know very little about African Violets although over the years I've had some success---

I'm usually over on the Antique rose and Roses Forum---but I do like the touch of color while waiting for spring to come--

I don't know if I have the heart to cut off the blooms--they are so pretty
    A couple of my new ones
    {{gwi:362159}}

{{gwi:362160}}

Florence

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Florence,
    I looks like you have the magic touch, keep growing.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Florence,
    You can wait till the blooms fade if you want.

When I get a new plant that has blooms, I take a picture of it and then I remove the blooms and repot. You aren't required to do that.

I have over 200 plants now and even with the new ones isolated, I am stubborn about anything that might come in on plants and especially inside the blooms. It's worth it to me to have the picture for a few weeks until I can get the plant repotted and reblooming.

Is that a granite window sill underneath that lace cover?

Dora

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Florence, very pretty plants. I love your window. I wish I had one like it. The only windows that I could put violets in are paladium windows that are close to the floor. I wouldn't see the flowers that way. I have them on dining room table until family comes and then I have to put them back on plant shelves.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, as always in your indoor photos, I don't know which could be the prettier - your flowers or your home! :-)

Anne

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Thanks for all you nice remarks----

Anne---can't wait till our roses start to bloom----

Fred--How kind of you to suggest I had anything to do with raising these beauties----LOL

It has been a long winter and I was longing for some flowers so we bought these already blooming.
    I just hope they survive my inexperience.

Dora----200 plants wow----that is way more than I could take care of----I bet they are beautiful.
    About that piece of granite----I was with my daughter when she picked out the granite for her kitchen and this long piece was in the scrap pile---We bought it for practically nothing and it fit perfectly in front of the three windows-that face east----I love the color and the rough edge---just the way it was cut before refinishing
    However it is very cold and it holds the cold so my DH made a long piece of wood raised up from the granite--which I promptly covered with that piece of lace---LOL
    Here is a better picture
    {{gwi:362161}}

Florence

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor