Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseetoro

rain!!!

tennesseetoro
16 years ago

After a sweltering summer, with August daily temperatures over 100 degrees, the Lord blessed us with four days of not steady but significant rain. Here in the Nashville area we officially got 2", maybe a bit more. To the west, where it was even dryer than here, some places got 3". I had the joy of mowing a substantial portion of the front yard yesterday evening for the first time since June. The only thing growing in the intervening months was the grass over the septic field lines.

How about all you other guys in the southeast? Is it raining there yet?

John

Comments (8)

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

You lucky dog!! After a bone dry spring, we had normal rain in July. Then in August the rain stopped completely. Looks like a dust bowl round' here. Since I believe in the law of averages, we are in for a doosey of a wet spell. The NWS has declared a La Nina and said the south would have a dry winter. That's the best news I've gotten in some time as these yo-yo's are rarely right. Since you're in Tenn., I've got to plug my alma mater... Go Gators!!

• tennesseetoro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lkbum,

I have to confess to being a VT Hokie, victims of LSU's machine last week. Both my daughters, however, are UT grads, so I have a certain amount of loyalty to the Vols. It's gonna be a tough game for the Tennessee boys.

Looks like surprise storm Humberto is headed your way. The way the map reads you might be getting some wet stuff about Saturday.

John

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

It actually rained today, I hope that steve2ski has been spared this latest round. A couple of Vol fans near me are actually rooting for Florida because the are tired of Fulmer (AKA Elmer Fudd).

Sorry about the situation earlier this year at VT and the way the media reacted to it (as a dad with a college student at the moment and one more headed that way soon, it was really distressing to view what the kids, faculty and victims families were having to endure). There was a serial killer on the loose in gainseville a few years back and it was really tough on the students.

On a lighter note, it really tickled me that out-of-control media didn't have a chance to do their "Normal" screaming and yelling about the pending doom coming from Humberto (no weathermen in the driving rain, references to Kartrina etc), although this moring they were trying their best to recover by predicting that some models had the hurricane moving back out to sea and hitting the coast again. What nuts.

• misoilman
    16 years ago

lkbum

Go Gators. As a graduate in 1998 living in Michigan its fun having Ohio State fans close by. As a Gator, who could forget Danny Rollings.

• johntommybob
    16 years ago

I've had not had to mow my yard since late May: it's that dry here. It's the worst drout here on record, being about 12" of rain below normal. And what has fallen has been spotty, so some areas are worse off than that. and a few better. Right
    where we live it is worse.

There is a light rain falling here this morning, but we are thankful for anything we can get. But the forecast is for a 100% chance all day. Yea!

• tennesseetoro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johntommybob,

One of my daughters and her husband live in Johnson City, so she's kept us up to date on the dry conditions in ET. We got some more rain last night off the fringe of Humberto. Maybe you'll get it tonight. Yards are greening up. The fertilizer I put down May 31 has awoken! If it's dry tomorrow, I plan to overseed.

John

• tennesseetoro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lkbum,

Thanks for the kind words about the April mass murder evil at VT. I have lots of thoughts about that, but this is not the forum for those. I do think that event continues to live more in the mind of the media and political folks, as it seems for the most part the students have gotten back to normal college life. Our niece is a sophomore there and she's looking forward.

As far as the coaching situation at UT is concerned, that's a perennial topic on sports talk shows around here. Big Orange alumni are a demanding bunch.

Hope you get some more rain.

John

• earl3
    16 years ago

After having to mow once this summer we are having rain today and last night.It's going to be good to get some seat time!For sure we can use the rain.

Sponsored