Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie5_gw

trailing violets

Ruthie5
13 years ago

I have a trailing violet that is quite long. It blooms almost constantly. The leaves near the soil are green as are the leaves at the end. The leaves in the middle are yellowish green. Why is that?

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

You probably need to repot it. If it is a trailer - it sends new shoots at the base - that's why you have new green leaves there.

I think a trailer looks better if it is "managed'. If you let the stems go indefinitely -it eventually develops bare stems. AT that point what you can do is to cut off the crown and reroot it - and trim the bare stem almost to the base - and in no time you will have new shoots coming.

Irina

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

I agree with Irina. It sounds like you have pH problem that may be resolved with repotting into fresh soil. Standard violets appreciate repotting every 4 or 5 months. Minis and semi minis should be repotted more often.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

OMG, Growhappy..how are you??? Gotta get in touch.

I had no idea AV's needed to be repotted so often. Maybe it's time to prepare soils, and repot.

I love Trailing Violets, but haven't had one in years.

Growhappy, when mini's and semi minis are repotted, should they remain in the same size pot or larger? Toni