Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderinstuff

My Verbascum Are Dying. Who Knows How to Grow Verbascum?

ponderinstuff
15 years ago

I'm not having any luck with the 3 Mullein Sugar Plum Verbascum that I ordered in the mail this spring. They grew, bloomed well, and then turned black and now they look dead.

I live in Zone 6 and I need some tips from those of you who have good luck with Verbascum. What kind of growing conditions do they like? What kind of soil, light, drainage, etc do they need?

I'm really bummed out because they were such pretty little plants.

Comments (10)

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

I used to live near Dayton, OH and with the soils we have in SW Ohio (very high clay content) its often difficult to get the drainage required to grow verbascum long-term, in my experience. They like lean, gritty, well-drained soil - they are great in rock gardens. In my garden our clay would just become saturated in the spring and winter months, which would kill mine off.

The spot that mine thrived, alongside with lavender and thyme was alongside our front walkway and our driveway - it was hot and full sun there, and to make it worse - they backfilled with almost pure sand instead of topsoil!! I was pretty annoyed at first, but tried out the aforementioned species and they just thrived in the quick-draining sandy substrate. Verbascums don't like soggy roots - that'll be the death of them. If you want to grow them I'd recommend mixing some sand and pea gravel into the soil all around them - even setting the rootball on a couple inches of pea gravel for drainage. Give them full sun. Hope that helps.
    ~Mike

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I got some verbascum in a trade last year. It bloomed and I just loved it. It started turning brown and dying so I posted about what to do. It turns out that verbascum can be (not sure if all are) biennial. So I saved the seeds and you should see how many plants I have now!! I winter sowed them, and I think they all sprouted. Hopw that helps some.
    gg

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Verbascum Violette has grown well, reseeded and come back every spring for the last three years, in a clay/loam soil. It isn't the best drainage, but it is fairly dry near tree roots and it blooms fine in less than full sun too. Can't speak to other Verbascums...

• DYH
    15 years ago

This is a picture of 3 year old verbascum (3 plants). Every year after they bloom, I think they've dried up and died. But, they come back in the exact same place. I do deadhead mine, so I don't find any offspring around. I'm in z7.

Cameron

{{gwi:255247}}

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Cameron--what verbascum is that in your pic? It looks like southern charm which I planted this year. I have three nice healthy seedlings out in the garden and can't wait to see them flower.
    gg

• DYH
    15 years ago

GG -- if you say so! LOL

I lost the labels, but I think you're right.

Cameron

• ponderinstuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Those are beautiful verbascum. That only makes me more upset that mine aren't doing well. What is your secret??? Please give me some tips.

Also, what are the purple plants in the background?

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I planted a couple of 'Southern Charm' last year, and after they bloomed this spring, they died back all of the way to the ground. Now they are putting out fresh foliage. Maybe yours will do the same.

Bonnie

• DYH
    15 years ago

I noticed new, green foliage coming up again this weekend.

• Mary Dragone
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sun not too much water, mine have come back 5 years in a row.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting