Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superturbodiesel

My 2 cents on why John Deere LGT's are better than anything else.

superturbodiesel
14 years ago

People... please go and buy a REAL LGT.

I bought a used 1991 John Deere 322 back in 2001. 18Hp, Yanmar 3-cylinder liquid cooled beast. Great on fuel. Came with 50" optional deck (46" standard) and full hydraulics, including power steering, hydraulic lift and hydrostatic tranny.

I had to make a decision between a new top of the line Craftsman or a 10 year old John Deere. After talking to several people as well as using my own judgement based upon my farm upbringing and what I know about JD quality, I went with the Deere. For only $3,500, I got the tractor, 50" mower deck, and a fully-hydraulic front snow blade.

It's the end of 2009 and she's still running strong after all these years and over 2,500 hours. The JD is just plain better in every single way than ANY AYP (Craftsman) or MTD (Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and almost every other name out there).

I will never look back. Anything else is junk. The only thing even remotely close to a John Deere these days is a Kubota, and why support the Japanese? Don't believe me about how good a JD LGT is? Buy one and run it. I guarantee you'll never go back to anything else.

Also, so you aren't disappointed, remember this... the best Deere's ever made were the 300 and 400 series machines. Even the new LGT's that they build nowadays aren't as good, but they still reign supreme over any of the "throw-aways". Avoid the 100 series JD lawn tractors, as they are "throw-aways" as well. They aren't any better than the Craftsman's or Cub Cadet's.

Quit wasting money on the "throw-aways". They just aren't worth it, and you will never be truly happy. Also remember... brand new isn't always better.

Peace out!

Comments (62)

• johndeere
    14 years ago

Now thats not nice either!Your saying John Deere owners are some how lacking brain cells?

• zoulas
    14 years ago

You either work for JD or you have a lot of common stock to sell.--)

• larso1
    14 years ago

Don't stop now....

{{gwi:351230}}

• marineguy
    14 years ago

Started off with good intentions... I completely agree that you can get a lot more for your money in a used Deere GT than a new AYP lawn mower, but there's no "guarantee" buying a used GT won't blow up in your face and leave you with a 600 lb lawn ornament. In the end it was more patting himself on the back than anything.

"Everything else is junk." Really? Maybe Deere should adopt that as their new slogan.
    "Why support the Japanese?" Uh.. before you poke your eye out with that little American flag, realize that Yanmar ain't made in Moline.

• starhust
    14 years ago

An LGT would be a total waste of money for me. My Yardbug handles all my tractor needs much better.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

The following post is for entertainment purposes only and was produced by a professional driver on a closed course...Do not attempt.
    bushleague, With my Jacobsen I could tow your 20hp Kohler GT6000 backward, mow my yard, and not even know you were back there. Whatever dude.
    Oh yea...superturbodiesel, I'll give you a second chance in the attitude department. Being from NY I realize you're somewhat handicapped when it comes to personality. Supporting the Japanese...that's funny, Deere has more Japanese engines than Texas has Fire ants. Last time I checked my Kubota was made in Georgia...somewhere not too far from where one of your Yankee generals torched a path to the Atlantic ocean a few years ago.
    Yea, OK, green mowers are pretty good but so are a lot of other mowers. I could make any of them last forever by taking care of it and repairing it. There is something to be said for low priced mass market mowers. Just wait till your Deere breaks something in the transmission. You will absolutely have to change your pants after seeing the repair costs or even the parts cost. I can break an MTD trans and have it running in 2 days with a salvaged trans. It just depends how you look at it. A long time ago I could not afford any riding mower. Later I had MTDs and loved them. They were their when I needed a low priced affordable riding mower.

• dynamike59
    14 years ago

Nicely stated rdaystrom.
    As far as that yankee general ,it reminds me of the Georgia state Trooper telling the speeding northerner that there has never been a Yankee going through his state so fast before.........and the driver replies "you forgot about Sherman"

• kompressor
    14 years ago

Has anybody noticed that SuperTurboDiesel (STD) has been MIA ever since he landed his spacecraft on this forum and dragged numerous threads out of the archives?

Maybe he's just moved on or maybe the responses he read were like a dose of penicillin that took care of this STD once and for all. LOL

• metal
    14 years ago

He's probably out in the shed cuddling with his little green machine.

• tennesseepowerstroke
    14 years ago

As for the JD 100 series lawn tractors being throw aways, you need to think again. My JD LX 172 is 19 years old with over 2000 hours on the original 14 hp Kawasaki and all I have ever done to the motor or transmission is drain the fuel bowl 1 time. I change the oil once a year and have never had to add an ounce of oil between changes.

• larso1
    14 years ago

"As for the JD 100 series lawn tractors being throw aways, you need to think again."

'stroke, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the later model L-100 series box-store (and also JD dealer) lawn tractors. Your LX series was a top of the line lawn tractor in its day and still well respected. There's a late model ('05 I think) LX 280 w/ 48C deck at our local JD dealer showroom floor that's never been sold. Would like to have that one in my shed.

• musli
    14 years ago

Even here, where the grass is always thick, dense and wet, the ground is heavy and boggy, the typical site is on a slope and nobody bothers to clean under their mowers, cheap supermarket ride-ons are reckoned by service guys to last at least 10 years in domestic use. The only real reason for spending big money on a commercial-grade machine is if you have an extremely rough and bumpy site or if the machine is going to be used more than twice a week. Or if you're in a hurry, since commercial machines can usually go a lot faster.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Well, guys, i had a retort ready for that big headed guy who posted about how self-important he is, with his great JD tractor, but since reading all or your replies, i see you have covered most everything!
    I personally, wouldn't have a JD lawn tractor, simply because the parts are so expensive, and living on my Army disabled veteran compensation, i really can't afford something that expensive. People drop off used lawn tractors here, and i fix them and use them for my own usage. Right now, i have a nice Murray, with a bad groaning tranny, but a nice twin cylinder that runs good. And, a used Craftsman with a good Vanguard engine in it, waiting for repairs. My son brought me an old Toro-Wheel horse lawn tractor--said it didn't run. I fixed it and i use it now. Yeah, i don't have brand spankin' new JD equipment, but i'm satisfied with what i have!

• williston
    14 years ago

>>Avoid the 100 series JD lawn tractors, as they are "throw-aways" as well. They aren't any better than the Craftsman's or Cub Cadet's.The same thing was said about the JD/Scotts series of tractors when they were introduced at Home Depot 10 years ago. I'm almost ready to put mine away for the winter after 9 years and 403 hours with only minimum repairs and normal maintenance.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

"I personally, wouldn't have a JD lawn tractor, simply because the parts are so expensive, and living on my Army disabled veteran compensation, i really can't afford something that expensive"

funny, btu the parts for both my X500 and my L130 are 1/2 or LESS the cost of teh same part for a craftsman. or at least everythign me and my buddy compared. my front axle for teh L130 is 38.50, the same style CI axle for his old Craftsman(meaning his previous tractor he scrapped) was nearly 80.00. deck spindles for mine run about 35.00 each, his were 60+, blades about 30.00 a set, his nearly 50.00.

folks assume that JD parts are higher, when in reality MOST of them are equal or lower price. naturally some things will cost more, but no matter what machine you buy it will have some expensive and some cheap parts.

as to the OP, i agree that the box store models are crap. just like the box store machiens they "compete" with, they do have a use. but they ain't made for acreage or abuse.

• rcmoser
    14 years ago

Well I think if you got the mechancial ability you can keep anything running. Most people either won't or can't afford the initial price of high end LTs. Most people with acreage invest long term and expect that investment to pay off in the end. In light equipment JD has strong competition in there price range. I just don't understand why all these comparsion are made to an entry level lower end product. It DAM sure better be better for at least twice the cost and in most cases 3 to 4 times when comparing 300 and 400 series to ecomony models. I for one never could justify buying High end products new due to my limited income and use. When I did buy a used JD I was very satified with it, but I got it dirt cheap. But that don't mean I would give FULL price for one.

• backman01
    14 years ago

isnt your yanmar engine japenese?,most jd parts ,engines,made in japan. do your research before popping -off .

• runny214
    14 years ago

Opinions are like butt holes; everyone has one

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Davidandkasie: How about some ideas where we can buy those new JD parts at such low prices! Or, do you have a secret entrance into the dealers parts department, open only after midnight?

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

check the dealer, you would be surprised. jdparts.deere.com also give the list price for parts if you register on it.

it is a common misconception that Deere charges a premium for their parts, in reality they are about the same or less than others. i can buy oil/filter/plugs cheaper at the dealer than at the autoparts stores around here. i usually don't since the price is only about a dollar or two cheaper than Autozone which is right next door to my office and the dealer is about 5 miles away. so it costs me just as much for the gas/time to go there.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

D&K is correct. People have said for years how expensive green paint is. They are real proud of somethings for sure, but as a rule they do well on pricing. MTD is worse IMO than EHP on part pricing and especially Toro parts are getting $$$.

• runny214
    14 years ago

It is true, green paint is more expensive because it contains more pigment than other colors.

• rcmoser
    14 years ago

Daa, how do you think they get the bright, deep green color! I bet cat yellar is more expensive also.

• bobinbaltimore
    14 years ago

I, too, have found that JD parts for my x520 are reasonable, about what I recall from my former Craftsman days. Also, a lot of us do have JD businesses in decent proximity, so the advantage there is I can go in a talk to somebody about what I need, see the parts and get a little advice. I've also used the online service for my first JD (L130 - yuck) and the X520. While JD's are not inexpensive, the perception of super-expensive parts is untrue in my experience. As a simple example, I was able to purchase all my fall maintenance parts (air filter, oil filter, two sparks, fuel filter, oil, grease cartridge, a few bolts and little items I needed, plus a can of JD yellow paint for touch-ups) for under $80. Not bad at all.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Well, here in our area, JD has closed up almost all of the small and medium sized JD lawn tractor dealers, with the result that to buy parts for a
    JD lawn tractor, i must now drive 50 to 75 miles in any direction to buy parts! They seem to have sent out a bunch of dumb-heads to survey the tractor scene, and decided to promote Farm tractors, and to let the lawn tractor business slide!

• johndeere
    14 years ago

I have listened to the John Deere parts are to high priced for years.But find it is just not true.I think a lot of it is the ones saying it are Cheap Arses in the first place.Since there to cheap to spend a little more for a John Deere naturally there going to pinch pennies when it comes to parts.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

johndeere il, Keep your cheap arse remarks to yourself. Too bad your brain isn't large enough to think of a more intelligent remark. Defend your John Deere purchase until forever if you want. It will probably take that long to pay for it anyway. This whole post was not about comparing John Deere parts prices directly with mowers like MTDs or Craftsman. It was more about the original poster telling everyone that their lower priced mower was crap and john deere was a gift from heaven. My first comment was that even the MTDs have a place in the market for those who cannot afford anything else. You can overhaul an MTD much cheaper because there are so many out there that used parts are readily available. Not so with John Deere. Are John Deere machines good. You bet they are. They better be at 8 times the price.

• johndeere
    14 years ago

rdaystrom Wrong all 3 of my John Deere's are paid for X320,LX277,318 so try again!I do not know where you shop but they were not 8 times the price of a MTD either.Did I mention I use to have a Cub Cadet 2166 MTD.Parts were just as much if not more for it then the John Deere's and needed parts more often.Thats why I dumped that POS.

Of course a John Deere might be 8 times higher if your comparing a new one.To a used set out at the curb MTD.Just like your comparing John Deere parts from a John Deere dealer to used MTD parts!New parts compared to used?Of course the MTD used parts will be cheaper YA THINK DOH!

The thing that gets me about John Deere bashers like your self.Bashing the cost of John Deere parts is you do not have a John Deere you have a MTD or Sears or what ever brand.So why would you be looking for parts for a John Deere and why would you even have a clue what John Deere parts cost?Its just a way for the Cheap arses to justify why they are so cheap and why there trying to make someone believe there POS lawn mower is better then the guy down the roads John Deere that there Drooling over but will not admit it.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Sorry johndeere you are wrong on every count. I do not own a John Deere but I do own several expensive mowers which I have no need to brag about. I'll just put it this way I could mow 5 acres before you get 1/4 acre mowed. Where you are wrong is in your language and the intent of your message. I'm not a John Deere basher at all. They are good mowers albeit a little expensive. What I am bashing is you and people like you and the original poster who think they have to bash everyone with an MTD or Craftsman. There are low priced mowers that are well worth the money. Like itor not. So johndeere. Like it or not here's the deal. Your precious John Deere brand is overrated, overpriced, over advertised, and about to go bankrupt.

• johndeere
    14 years ago

Rdaystrom im not a MTD or Sears basher anymore then your a John Deere basher.Atleast I have owned both MTD and Sears and so can honestly say I have a clue.

Im not sure what brand you have that is so fast you can mow 5 acres before I can mow 1/4 but I take it must be a Zero turn?

Dont hold your breath with John Deere about to be going bankrupt.Surely you do not believe that honestly?Do you have a clue what John Deere bring in with there Ag line alone?They have that market wrapped up.Lawn mowers are just a sideline for John Deere.

I only bash the John Deere bashers who think they know it all.Most are simply to cheap to pay more for quality.Thats fine but why bash John Deere because of it?Maybe they were denied that John Deere credit?Maybe Mama said no you only have an allowance for a Sears or MTD?But saying John Deere parts are to high priced or there going bankrupt.Just because you need an excuse?

Rdaystrom hang in there maybe someday you will be able to afford a John Deere and then you will not be so bitter toward a John Deere owner and Deere&Co.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

All this popcorn and beer that I'm forced to consume while watching this thread fly off the tracks isn't doing anything for my weight problem. LOL

• wheelhorse_of_course
    14 years ago

Despite the Deere favoritism I find one useful thing in SuperTurboDiesel's post.

For the right person buying a used machine can get you more bang for the buck. And if you do you will find that for a given amount of $ you will see better machines than old - the wimpier machines will have been weeded out, or will be well below you amount you care to spend.

SO buying a bigger/better machine used makes a lot of sense for SOME people.

• mownie
    14 years ago

I saw a hat that I hadn't seen before yesterday. It was being worn so I haven't a clue where it came from. The caption was, "To speed things up, let's just assume I know everything." What does the hat have to do with this thread? I got to thinking maybe that would be a good line for a company to feature on a hat under their company name or logo. I'm not joining in the fray here, but just picture it in your mind.>>>JOHN DEERE, (or the leaping deer logo) above, with "To speed things up, let's just assume I know everything."

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Hey, Mownie--where can i buy a hat? It has to say Snapper Hi-vac on the front, and John deere on the back! Thats where they belong, in my book!
    RJ

• mownie
    14 years ago

***"where can i buy a hat?"***
    I wish I knew, it was on somebody's head, I was going in a door, he was coming out. I wish now that I had asked him where he got it. Maybe we should start out own "Hat business". You can have all the territory from Viginia up through Pennsylvania and I'll take from Virginia westward through Tennessee. Deal? Good! Your handshake is as good as a signature. How soon can we get started? (if I was to really mention an idea like that to my wife she'd either have me committed or shot)

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

deerejohn, Don't worry about me affording a Deere in the future. My Jacobsen fairway mower and my diesel Kubota ZTR were just as ridiculously expensive as any Deere. I just like to defend the position of the ordinary guy who can't afford everything he sees and has to buy what he can. Been there and done that many times over in my lifetime. I also like to have a good argument with you guys who so adamantly defend your expensive mowers. Fact is I like all of them. I can't help that I'm a mechanical junky. It's all fun to me.

• steve2ski
    14 years ago

superturbodiesel,
    John Deere LGT better than anything else? Then you start ranting about a JD GT that is far superior to other LT's?
    Here is my experience:
    I presently own a 2002 Craftsman LT DLT2000, a 1996 JD GT GT275, and a 1988 Simplicity GT Sunstar 16hp. I've owned the Craftsman since new (9 yrs), I've owned the JD since 2004 (5 yrs), and I've owned the Simplicity approx (7 months).
    The Craftsman is by far the easiest to steer of the 3 and most agile (foot controlled hydrastatic) in tight places.
    The JD is the most difficult to steer of the 3 and is not good in tight places. But the foot controlled hydrastatic trans is the easiest to use (MHO) of the 3.
    The Simplicity (shaft drive) appears to be the most rugged and heavy duty of the 3 and is much easier to steer than the JD but more difficult the Craftsman. But the Hydrastatic trans very heavy duty (right hand controlled) is difficult (for me) since I use this GT with a blade (hydrulic lift) and that control is on the left, leave's me no hands, at times, to steer with.
    So which is the best - depends on what you are doing. I also have other likes and dislikes of all 3, but just personal preferences.
    Cost-wise the JD costs more to keep running, the Craftsman the least. Haven't owned the Simplicity long enough to make a comparison, but I don't think it will be cheap.
    A last comment - I hope to get a Kubota ZTR326 to replace the GT275, I wouldn't use the JD to do what the Craftsman does or I wouldn't use the Craftsman to do what the Simplicity does. The JD and Simplicity could be interchanged, although the JD would be alot more difficult to raise and lower the blade, but the simplicity could fill in for the JD and have little easier steering.

• metal
    14 years ago

My Pop can beat your Pop!

• mownie
    14 years ago

Metal just summed up the "hero worship" perspective of "Brand Wars" in a nutshell.

• baymee
    14 years ago

Rusty is right. JD dumped many small dealers and now you have to drive for parts. They don't follow the successful Walmart program of many little profits making a huge profit. Bad move in my mind.

As a part time job, I service, on average, one machine every day of the year. 90% are Sears, or MTD. I really have to do almost no repair on the bodies, mostly routine stuff on the engines.

I always loved my Wheelhorse 312A, non-Toro, but when I bought a used JD316, I have to honestly say that JD has it all over my Wheelhorse. Neither one has nickeled and dimed me, but my Eaton hydro pump did fail on the Horse after about 1000 hours. That set me back $800 for the part.

• rick315-8
    14 years ago

Wow!..............and to think............all of this started when STD (which is still missing in action BTW) tried to compare his watermelon to a bunch of apples.........jeeeeeezzzzzzzzz!......

• bill7
    14 years ago

"All this popcorn and beer that I'm forced to consume while watching this thread fly off the tracks isn't doing anything for my weight problem. LOL"

Kompressor:
    Maybe you should look at a bigger GT. I am sure this forum will be of help!

• kompressor
    14 years ago

bill7,
    My Case garden tractors are certainly strong enough to carry me even if I put on another 100 pounds plus. LOL

As much as I love my Case and Ingersoll GT's, I certainly respect the qualities that are found in other brands. Since I haven't had the opportunity to experience many of the brands and models made by those brands, I certainly wouldn't dream of posting anything remotely similar to the rants by STD in about a half-dozen archived threads plus this one.

STD is a troll. He came here, stirred the stagnant manure pile and then sat back to watch the fun as the fan began to spin up to speed.

• johndeere
    14 years ago

This sight use be jumping with excitement like STD.Sure it got old.But atleast the sight was alive and kicking.Now days it is Dead as could be.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

Yes.... I remember those days vividly. I also remember that many of the most informed members fled this site as a direct result of the sort of posts provided by STD. Brand-bashing is pointless and counter-productive. I think that most of us are totally aware of the forum that many GW members migrated to. Most of them refuse to post on this board any longer.

• baymee
    14 years ago

I don't know to what forum the others went to, but other forums include a bit more info about the posters.

Did I mention that Craftsman riding mowers have a warning under that seat:

To prevent premature failure of the engine and drivetrain, it is recommended that riders weigh less than 90 pounds.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

baymee,
    Try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

• baymee
    14 years ago

There were some names there that I haven't seen for awhile. It never did say what MTF stands for.

• kompressor
    14 years ago

It stands for my tractor forum, a place that can be easily found on the net.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction