Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Plant Clems in V. Large Plant Pots in the Ground?

arbo_retum
10 years ago

Last yr I got into clems BIIIIG time (much more than before) but I think they sent me a wake up call because a large number of the new plants did not appear this yr. (They were all from Brushwood and Joy Creek, so you know the size.) I had read advice about growing them on for a yr or 2 in their pot in the ground, and had had very good success with that method in previous years,in an area dedicated to just growing on those clems, but this time, we planted most of them in situ.

I think ' in situ' is the problem here. Our beds are very very packed, and while we gave the clems big holes w/ rich soil and lime ,and put them 2" deeper than they had been in their original pot, we think they were no match for competing roots.That's the only thing we can figure and it is really depressing. They were pretty much all planted at the base of long established conifers and deciduous shrubs, w/ good light, but we are not meticulous weeders either. Still and all, we have not lost any clems before except from disease. And we have about 40. What about planting them in a v big plant pot ( w/ drainage holes of course) in the ground-to prevent root competition over the years? Or any other ideas? (gg, I hope you're out there.) I feel so stupid. TIA.

mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Comments (10)

• lefleur1
    10 years ago

Sure, I definitely plant many of my hydrangeas in pots during the summer months, but then in late fall I dig them up & place them along the north foundation & give them a good cover of mulched leaves.

I have many, many Endless Summers....which are zone 5 root hardy, but not necessarily bud hardy. The first year I had them I found that out the hard way, and then read that was pretty common. Winters in the Chicago area are sometimes fairly mild, but then the next year we can get a terrible winter.

I also make sure their winter homes are dug so that the pots are slightly slanted downward so they don't get waterlogged...from rain or snow.

They spend the winter near our north-facing foundation, and in the spring they are planted on the east side of the house...on both sides of a path...very, very pretty, if I do say so myself. (grin)

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

I always plant my Clematis directly in the ground, and I have never lost one. It's more tricky watering them in pots. If the soil in the bottom breaks down, I've seen it cause root rot. The only one I ever lost was in a pot. I don't plant them by trees though. This year I planted a very small Clematis 'Little Duckling' and it's starting to grow well. I don't baby Clematis. They are tough plants. I've heard people say they plant their Clematis deeper, but I have never done that. I see no reason for that here. I've aleays planted them at the same level they are in the pot and never had any problem. I even order very small plants from Bluestone's half off sale and plant them later in the season.

• molie
    10 years ago

I've done both. At first I planted all my Clematis in pots and set them into the group where I wanted them to eventually grow --- kind of got them used to their new home. But as my gardens have grown, this has become impractical.

For my last few Clems, I put them in on a slant, burying the top few inches of stems in the ground and leaning them away from the center. These have done well and sent out many shoots from below ground.

You might want to check on the vines forum. There are some amazing growers there who know a lot about how to make Clematis thrive.

• lefleur1
    10 years ago

ahh.geez...I was half-asleep when I posted above...

ok, there IS a big difference between clematis & hydrangeas, isn't there!? (grin) My post was at 2a.m. so that should explain my blunder.

• AdamKR
    10 years ago

Question on clematis... Do you guys deadhead the spent flowers or just let nature do it's thing with them??

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

I never deadhead mine. The variety 'Rosemoor' blooms repeatedly all summer here. That's my favorite one.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I sorta deadhead as don't like the looks of the seed pods of some clematis. It doesn't help with rebloom IME but does make the plant look neater. As the plants get taller and as my interest declines they get deadheaded less. One that does get regular deadheading is clematis integrafolia as it stays short and is growing through a hatched ring which keeps it at any easy height.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I think you are right about root completion from your shrubs and conifers, Mindy. While the ones I planted near the base did not die they have done poorly with little growth or flowering. I have read that some planted them further out from the shrubs with strings or other support going to the shrub and having success doing so. I will dig mine up this fall and move them.

I am also interested to know if anyone has done the large pot thing.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's hysterical. I have had that set aside waiting to be returned to the vendor because it was not the color i was seeking, but now, as we speak, it is going into the 'find a holding over/growing on place to plant this' queue. (See, you never know how or who might benefit from a post you make!) thx, ech.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

NHbabs recently posted a pix lovely healthy clem growing through a hydrangea. She stated she plants clems at a distance based on the size the shrub will be in ten years.
    I would really have to discipline myself to do that.