Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

So proud and wanted to show em off. . . .

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Here is a picture of my new flowers.

The darker one is the one I did a complete makeover on esrlier this spring with a lot of help from the folks on this forum. Everyone said be patient and they will come, well I had almost resigned to the fact that I cannot get AV's to bloom. I even posted once asking if I should just stop looking at them, w/the advice from all, I did just that. Then. . . lo and behold. . . I got blooms on both plants. Now I can't stop looking at them. . . aren't they sooooo pretty.

Just wanted to show off. . . thanks for looking.

{{gwi:368420}}

Comments (11)

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Good work!

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Congratulations. They are very pretty. I hope to be making a similar post in about a year, when my leaves have babies and the babies grow up. It's good to see others being successful when I am fretting over this whole process.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Your plants look nice and healthy, however they are too close to each other. I would give them more space so that they both can grow in a nice rosette shape. The lighter blue plant seems to be a bit lopsided.
    Fred in NJ

• Christine
    14 years ago

Thanks for showing us the beautiful blooming results of your makeover! Congratulations on your success.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Fred, yes, the lighter one is a bit lop-sided. I was contemplating wacking off the older row of leaves, they are realy big (bout the size of a lemon) and I think it would make it look a lot better, but can I do this while it is bloom?

I was thinkin I would wait til it's done blooming and then trim the older leaves, cut off some of the rootball, bury the neck since it will be taller with the leaves gone. Then it'll be ready to start blooming again. Or. . . if I can do all of this now without hurting the plant, I will.

What do you think?

• minimac
    14 years ago

aah, good job. Mission accomplished! Flowers! Looks like you have lots of buds. Soon they'll have a full crown of glory!

So, what do you think was the most important change(s) that made your violet finally bloom? Didn't it have a couple of suckers on it? Did they make it? Did you put down leaves? Do they now have babies? Did you pot down after all that? Inquiring mind wants to know.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Minimac. . . funny you should ask, cuz I'm just dying to brag.

Yes, it did have suckers that I did remove. I potted them up and they are doing wonderful. They are in 2 oz solo cups, ones is wicked the other is not. I can't really tell a difference in the 2 methods.

I did put down leaves. . . many many leaves (gave some to my sister and hers have mouse ears, mine are close, they have roots).

I potted down yes, as I removed some of the rootball which called for a smaller pot.

After all of this I kept checking them everyday, then suddenly as soon as there was swelling and the slightest signs of buds I sqweeled and well. . . you know.

heres a pic right after taking from mamma

{{gwi:363157}}

and another one

{{gwi:363158}}

and here they are today

{{gwi:368421}}

{{gwi:368422}}

and the mama dark purple on the left. Light purple one I bought as is.

{{gwi:368423}}

I have the baby suckers growing in a west window and the mamma in a north window with no direct light but lots of bright light.

Thanks for asking and looking.

• minimac
    14 years ago

Hey Montana,

It's an amazing difference. They don't look like the same plants. Thanks for the update and the pics. Some day when I can corral my computer enablers, I'll have them give me a crash course on loading pictures and posting. LOL.

How about another update. Remember your client's poor little violet. Has it bit the dust yet? Hope it's still hanging on.

I had to grin when you mentioned you couldn't tell much difference in wicking or just watering (by hand), but the time may come when you will...all the little babies from all those leaves you put down ;)

Happy growing!

• frank325
    14 years ago

When I have little ones starting in solo cups like that, I typically have them up real high with the mix almost to the top of the cup so that the growing leaves don't get "trapped" in the cup like the one on the left.

• frank325
    14 years ago

Then the leaves are free to grow beyond the cup. This is from a leaf I took from a mini around Valentines Day. I gave the parent plant to my sister-in-law right after buying it, unfortunately it died shortly after. I think it had root rot. Anyway, at least I got a couple leaves because now the baby is already blooming.

{{gwi:368424}}

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Frank, more great advise from you . . . as always. Gonna jump right to that. Every little thing I can do to help them along. That sure is a stunning flower !! From a leaf to that in just 5 months. . . WOW !

Could you please read my reply to your comment about the lop-sided plant. Was wonderin if I could remove longer, older, bigger leaves now while in bloom.

Minimac, thank you for the praise. Posting pics isn't hard, and I would love to see what you have.

Yes those AV's from my clients house are still hangin in there, still bloomin. I did notice the other day that they were standing in water, she musta decided to water them for a change. I did dump the water out of them, I swear she is so neglegent when it comes to her plants, and yet they seem to preform for her (flower) nothing spectacular when it comes to the main plant. She has a sunroom full plants that I'd love to get my hands on. Her 5 hoyas are so dry that if you blew into the pot you'd cause a dust storm, and they all bloom!!! But the leaves are whithered, pale and straggley. She has two huge ponytail palms that could be beautiful if only. . . a little tlc.

Ya I think you're probably right about wicking the AV's. I may do it just for convience sake. I use a piece of panyhose, that's what my gramma did, so that's what I did. I may even wick the mammas. Still can't believe they are doing so well in a bright north window, but they are.

I'll be sure to post when the leaves get their mouse ears, and when my babies have flowers.