Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

Any idea on this variety? blue/violet & white, dark green leaves

aharriedmom
11 years ago

I ran across this picture and I love it -- I must have it! (some day, the sooner the better) Any idea on the variety?

Most AV websites don't have terrific search options so trying to find it has been unsuccessful so far.

{{gwi:368670}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368670}}

Comments (13)

• korina
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When in doubt check Optimara...

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Field Guide

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did that earlier and unless I happened to miss it, they don't have it. I'll continue the search tomorrow.

(this is a very dangerous mission as I've seen a ton of AVs that I want)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

I found this one Saintpaulia Velutin Light. Not exact but close. Have you notice what a large degree of color variance of the same plant there is in pictures of flowers on the net?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368671}}

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a pretty one, too. I have noticed the variations between different plants of the same variety.

There are so many GORGEOUS AVs out there.

The one you posted looks similar to my favorite in my [growing] collection:
    {{gwi:368672}}

• irina_co
    11 years ago

The problem with the variety you posted first is - it is unstable, the color bleeds out of the "eye" - and you can get them fom solid white to solid blue to all kind of tie-die in between. It is interesting to see, but it can quickly develop into something you won't necessary like.

I would go for Optimaras - they are quite stable unless you stress them badly - and they have quite an interesting selection.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: optimara online

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Irina - I'm learning that about these plants. I think it's neat (though I really do love the pattern (markings?, coloration?) on the picture I posted). I wonder what will happen with the leaf I started from my plant (pictured 2 posts above) - it's a NOID picked up at HD.

It's really odd how fast I fell in love with them.

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that might be an Optimara violet.

Link to large picture: http://www.selectivegardener.com/images/products/1587.jpg

Link to plant info added at bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalog Plant Page

• irina_co
    11 years ago

AHM -

looks like you have pansy type blossoms and you like bi-colors.

Anyway - the one that you found on Optimara site is probably it, the color on yours is blue, on the link is more purplish - probably it is somewhere in a middle because this color is very hard to replicate on the pic.

Selective Gardener charges quite a lot - but it is still cheaper than the pool table or some other boy toys our hubbies buy.

irina

• verac
    11 years ago

Looks like Optimara MyJoy, HD has been getting shipments from Optimara, and they have been getting the "MY series" I picked up a MyDesire and MyJoy and they still had the tags in the pots,the clerk said they normally pull the tags out of them before they put them on the shelf, I just got lucky. Your plant looks like mine. I had a couple of flowers on it that had the same bleeding of color like yours. Technically for those that trade or sell leaves it is a noid if it did not have a tag.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

DAN796, thanks for the info, and yes, we've all had similar experiences. But she wasn't trying to identify the variety on one of her own, she was trying to find one like it to buy! Then it would be a named variety, because she would buy it that way. :)

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

^I was trying to identify the first picture (no idea at time of posting if it was a NOID or named) because I love it. I think it is the Optimara MyJoy. Too bad (or good?) that I'm pretty much out of well lighted places for plants, or else I'd feel the need to buy it. :)

I posted the pic of my plant because it looked like the one that shows in the link of the post by nyxx.

• variegatednancy1
    11 years ago

Could be Anthofloras Barnaby. Someone on ebay has a picture of a single flower that looks similar. Just go to ebay, write in african violet anthoflores barnaby

Nancy