Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Memories of a rose friend

rosefolly
11 years ago

Carol Markell, who has long posted on this forum as Bluesibe, a name she chose in honor of one of her beloved huskies, died suddenly last week. She was hiking with friends in Nevada. Carol embraced every aspect of her life with energy, enthusiasm, and ardor: her dogs, her travels in Europe and the United States, her work for a home energy publication, her hiking and bicycling (and more recently Pilates), her iron welding to make garden sculpture (yes, she was good at it), her love of good food, but most of all, her roses and her friends. If anyone ever could be said to live life to the fullest, Carol was that person. How we will miss her! The rose world and our lives will be diminished by our loss.

(There is also a discussion of Carol on FB, but I know that not everyone who knew her posts there.)

Comments (11)

• jerome
    11 years ago

How sad. I'm going in to Mass in 10 minutes; I'll tell the guys and we'll remember her and her loved ones for sure. She added so much to this forum

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I know few people who were as involved and interested in life as Carol. She will be missed by so many people.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

She will be greatly missed. A wonderful lady, very thoughtful and helpful.

I always enjoyed her posts, and learning about her garden and volunteer work.

• User
    11 years ago

So sad she will be missed!

• patricianat
    11 years ago

I loved Carol although I only had the pleasure of her company once but it was easy to know from the flavor of her posts that you could not resist her friendship, the love that she had for life and that she lived it and soaked up the pleasures it had to offer to the utmost. I will miss the e-mails and will keep the last one I received. A very intelligent, fun-loving rose lover has slipped permanently from us.

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

I will miss her too - her love for roses and zest for life - I will remember

• riku
    11 years ago

Very sad, I remember her as one of the original california girls on the forum - always upbeat and never a sour note.

• luanne
    11 years ago

Perhaps if this were not so painful, I could distance a little and write my dear Fang the obit she deserves, more like an Irish wake than a funeral. I can see her as we struggled to find a restaurant both cheap enough and good enough for us and our "rosebuds". I didn't usually argue with her,it was much too exhausting, she was a Joisey girl with the mind of a Jesuit. I only knew I had won when she became odddly silent(very rare).
    I was scaning my old e-mails from her. She had sent me a fun quiz that determined the probability of how long I would live. I drew 101, I think she won. I so rarely meet anyone over82 who looks like they're having much fun
    If she died hiking in the Sieras I know she drug the fun right out to the last minute.
    She was not religious she claimed, so why did I have to pray every time her beautiful dog, CeCe ran off- a couple of times a year? At the end of course it was my ahem!!!, perfect record,(nothing like hubris to improve my karmic record) but in the beginning it was far more mysterious,like why God answers the prayers he does. She always planned to move some place for her retirement, I had no idea it would be so crazy far.
    love to you all.
    la

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A memorial is being held for Carol Saturday August 25th (tomorrow). For more information, follow the link below. There is also a photograph of our elusive friend.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol Markell

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

So sad---and a big loss for all of us-----I will miss her posts----

Florence

• seattlesuze
    11 years ago

I've been away so long residing on Facebook that I keep looking for the "Like" button here to confirm my agreement with all of you about how special Carol was. I didn't get to see her much in person because she was always traveling to visit one or another of us or else she was making tracks in a foreign country, but we 'chatted' almost daily on Facebook and she seemed everpresent. Now she stays with me as I tend Etoile d'Hollande in the garden and watch images from her garden, shared events, and Vintage's Dirt Days past slip across the computer screensaver.

When she visited us several years ago, I raved about all of the perfectly cartoon-like Smart cars I saw in Italy. She promised me a ride in hers when she bought it but we never had the chance. We loved our dogs and shared so much about them, laughing and crying through their lives, illnesses and deaths. I miss her in a hundred ways, every so often surprising a memory around one of the mind's corners, and feel so lucky to be able to call her a good friend.

Sue