Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bittybats

Plant rescuee

bittybats
9 years ago

About one month ago I bought these two plants for a dollar each from the clearance rack.

{{gwi:376858}}

Did some work on them.

{{gwi:376859}}

Took off the suckers.

{{gwi:376860}}

Replanted them.

{{gwi:376861}}

Now a month later they look like this!

{{gwi:376862}}

What's really surprising is that lil one. When I first planted it, it only had three small leaves. I'm surprised it lived long enough to root.

{{gwi:376863}}

Just had to share! Whenever I try to root leaves or suckers, they always end up rotting.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Good job! They look great!

Linda

• susan_kc
    9 years ago

Good job! They're looking great. Is one of them variegated?

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! That's impressive! Also, a lot of fun and good experience!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

• perle_de_or
    9 years ago

I love the pictures, I have done the same thing too. I love it when rescues grow and do well. Thanks so much for sharing.

• bittybats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I mostly bought them to get experience, but hoping they'll turn into beautiful healthy plants! I never had good experiences trying to root leaves or suckers, this is probably my first success.

Kcgirl, I'm not sure, but I think they might just be water marks since it mostly shows up on one side. I'll let you know when it gets bigger!

• marty-1
    9 years ago

Rooting leaves and suckers is easy. I wonder why you have not been successful. What potting mix do you use? Do you enclose pots in a dome or bag?

• Karin
    9 years ago

Mine rot when I dome anything, or when they get chilled...

• bittybats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use half av mix and half perlite. Sometimes I enclose them in a baggie, but they usually die for one reason or another. I have noticed that among the ones that live, the ones in the baggies have better root systems compared to the ones that were not bagged but potted at the same time.

• perle_de_or
    9 years ago

Bittybats, when I put my leaves in plastic bags or covered trays, I make sure they are just damp, but never soggy wet. In my conditions that is the key. Also, I cut the stems kind of short. About one inch. I rarely lose leaves.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Bitty Bats
    Nice Pictures!
    Don't stop trying!
    I never had any luck with leaves until I rescued what I believe to be O. Annabelle last April.
    The plant just kept dying. I did everything to revive it and it rotted away.
    In desperation I set down 3 leaves and those leaves were the first leaves that ever had mouse ears.
    Now many of my leaves have sprouted mouse ears but it was providence that my first success was the last leaf of a rescue I truly wanted to save.
    I have several small plants from the leaves, all thriving.
    The last three leaves of the plant, I can't wait for them to bloom!

This post was edited by lucky123 on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 12:46

• bittybats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2122659}}

{{gwi:2122660}}

{{gwi:2122661}}

{{gwi:2122662}}

Finally! :)

It's the right plant in pic 1 and the top left plant in pic 4.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

That's beautiful!!! Yay!!!! Clap clap! Good job!!!!! Isn't it fun????

Sue

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

very nice and congrats on your success! :)

I use a cupcake carry case from Dollarama with the handle removed for rooting and keeping semi/minis

Only rot I've had so far, was on my first tiny leaf of smitten kitten (soggy soil ~ due to over watering),second leaf is doing fine

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

here is a pic of Semi/minis all rooted and grown successfully with this method (bottom 1/2 is perlite and top 1/2 is 50/50 mix)

Lid tucks nicely underneath too for safe keeping ;)

• shallons
    9 years ago

Those glossy glowing leaves are a gorgeous sight!