Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicallvr

Western Mexico Philadendron selloum?

tropicallvr
16 years ago

I just got back from a nice jungley spot today in Nayarit. While waiting to get a ride I got bored and went and check out the surrounding jungle, and found some sort of climbing philadendron that was about as thick a base ball bat, and was just starting to sprout new leaves out of the tips(end of dry season in about 2 weeks). The new growth looked exactly like the selloum I grow in northern California that is a tree form, and doesn't climb. Any Ideas what this species could be? I planted a peice of it under a tree at the place where I am staying, so I'll be able to get a pic when it leafs out all the way.

Comments (13)

• patusho25
    16 years ago

where in Nayarit?? Sayulita? San Blas? Chacala? Las Varas?

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was growing on a cohune palm just south of Plata nitos where the lagoon meets the sea. I also found a bunch of weird chusquea bamboos that were flowering, and some had viable seeds.

• patusho25
    16 years ago

It´s been a while since the last time I ate a cocoyol (sugar prepared Attalea cohune fruit)

• philofan
    16 years ago

Can you post a photo?

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have a digital(just get developed to disk), but it looks like it is a semi dormant plant that is just now starting to put out lime green selloum looking leaves at the end of a baseball bat thick vine.
    I just went for another hike off the highway south of Sayulita(to take pics of some rarer palms), and climbing up some of them was a small spit leaf phil(looked kinda like house plant type), that looked in need of a rain.

Here is a link that might be useful: new growth looks like this selloum's new leaf

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Upon closer inspection(and 35mm pic) the leaves do indeed look exactly like the selloum in the photo, but they are alternating on opposites side of the stalk. The stalk is medium green, distinctly ringed, without noticeable leaf scars(as the trunking kind has). I wonder how big the leaves will get with a good amount of watering?

• raymikematt
    16 years ago

Possibly P. radiatum? Not sure without a pic. P. bippenatifidum isnt native to Mexico but Im sure it could be naturalized in some areas. If its a climber it most likely is P. radiatum, I understand it is rather common in southern Mexico.
    Michael M.

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep that's it. It seems to be a form of P.radiatum(said to take on different forms), it also can't be that rare locally because I just saw the same species in the town I'm staying in and that's 80 miles from where I found the plant in the wild. Thanks for helping ID.

• philofan
    16 years ago

Would it by any chance look like this? This is a philodendron that originated from Oaxaca. I assume also a P. radiatum variant.

{{gwi:385578}}

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting that pic. The leaves on the one here are larger, lighter green, and more deeply cut, much like the plain old selloum(but a little smaller size). There also doesn't seem to be as many leaves on the one here because the stem/vine/trunk is more of prominent feature being large, 1 inch+ between rings, and only one leaf scar per internode, and hardly any aeiral roots. It makes the trunk/stem/vine really visable and green.

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally here's the pic of it six months later. This is the peice of one that I planted at the place I was staying, so not much trunk on it.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Tropicallvr/NativePhilodendron.jpg[/IMG]
    {{gwi:385579}}

• lariann
    16 years ago

That plant in your picture is actually Philodendron warszcewiczii

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron warszewiczii

• tropicallvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, lariann
    That's it "from dryer tropical areas than P.radiatum".
    From those pics in your link of it leafed out, it's going to make an awesome plant when it grows up into the tree that it's planted under. I'll look forward to going back there and checking out how much it has grown, and what it looks like.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH