Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

A. konjac Zone 5

ademink
12 years ago

I just was gifted a 3' konjac WITH BUD (YEAH!!!!) that was growing in the ground, just 40 min from me. They have left it in the ground for several years and never dig it up...planted year round....zone 5.

I would love to leave this in the ground but don't want to kill it.

Are they hardy to zone 5?? Some websites say yes...others no.

Also, I am reading (till my eyes fall out) conflicting information on moisture requirements, drainage, etc, etc, etc.

If someone can "nutshell" some info for me, that'd be awesome. :) thanks a lot!!!

Comments (3)

• weirdflowers
    12 years ago

If they left it in the ground, you should be able to do it too. Make sure you plant it pretty deeply. They can survive cold weather, but probably not if the corm freezes.

I've grown them for a few years now, and they're pretty easy. I've heard they're susceptible to fungus if kept too wet, but they like a well-draining soil that stays a little on the moist side. They can also tolerate drying out now and then, so it's alright if you're a lazy waterer, but don't be overzealous.

A. konjac can also tolerate a variety of soils. I've grown them in different types of potting mixes and garden soils, and in the ground in that good old Southern red clay. They're hungry plants and prefer nutrient-rich soil. The culture sheet on the IAS website suggests fertilizing with a high-phosphorous fertilizer.

Lighting--again, pretty easy. I've grown them where they get several hours of direct sun every day, and I've grown them in the shade under big trees. In shady conditions, the leaves grew very large, but the corms did not grow very much. In sunnier conditions, the leaves were smaller, but the corms grew more. In order to flower, A. konjac needs a larger corm.

Also, if you're planning on digging this plant out of the ground, it might be a good idea to wait until it goes dormant in the fall. During the growing season, the corm is spent putting out lots of roots and the leaf, and is replenished over the summer. So you probably will end up severing a large portion of the roots (which may start to rot) and severely hindering the plant's growth for the season. Probably not the best thing to do...

Hope that helps :)

• ademink
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That helps a ton! Thank you SO much for the effort of writing this out for me....it's exactly what I needed to know! :D

Thanks a lot - truly appreciated!!!
    Andrea

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

I wouldn't do it myself. I'm in zone 6b and it's too cold here. Mine are in pots and I dig them up, clean them and bring them inside once the stalk has drooped over.

Sponsored