Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Need more cold- anything I need to know about refridgerating?

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

I read yesterday that Asclepias need several weeks of cold, and found some seeds in my stash that I forgot about. I'd like to toss these in the fridge for 3-4 weeks since we don't have that much cold left in the season, but not sure if there's anything special I need to do like:

-Moisten them in a paper towel and refridgerate?

-Just toss the packet in the fridge?

-put the packet in an airtight container or zippy bag, and toss in the fridge?

-use one of the drawers instead of the open shelves?

???

Thanks for the help.

Comments (7)

• ramazz
    16 years ago

If I were doing it, I would plant them in a small container with a lid and then refrigerate them. Second choice would be using a damp paper towel in a ziploc bag - just make sure the paper towel stays moist. Or you can store the packet in the fridge until next winter. I have some extras that I am saving for next year by storing them in the fridge - but they will still need to be wintersown.

Becky
    ramazz

• amelanchier
    16 years ago

Standard advice for cold stratification is to put the seeds in moist (but not wet) sand or vermiculite, then refrigerate at 35-40 degrees for the requisite time. I believe asclepias tuberosa requires 90 days of stratification, but I'm not sure about the other species in the genus. I actually WS'ed some asclepias tuberosa just a couple of days ago, even though we here in Buffalo, NY probably have just a month of cold left as well. Risky, but I didn't want to wait until fall, and germination rates with cold stratification and direct sowing are lower than for winter sowing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia: Stratification

• dorisl
    16 years ago

You could send them here, I got a good four more weeks of cold coming.

:)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Mary,

Winter sow them. Place them outside. No need to fuss over paper towels or take up space in the fridge.

I winter sowed some late in the season last year. Mid-April I believe. Our last frost date is April 28th. The germiantion was great. So great I didn't have room for all of them and brought some to my DB's in a three hour drive. When I arrived there he asked what were those caterpillars eating the plants... The Monarchs had found these small 6 inch Asclepias and laid their eggs. Well, he did want plants that attracted butterflies and got some!!

In New Hampshire you still have enough frosts left to do the trick. Keep them where the sun won't shine on them for the first while - a cool place on the property - and you'll be fine.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool! I'll take that chance, and get them out there this weekend and hide 'em in the back of my shelving units against the house. Good to know I might just not need to do the whole cold-strat thing (this is why I LOVE WS-ing!)

• terrene
    16 years ago

It may depend on the species. The germination websites seem to have some differing information - Tom Clothier's website says that A. syriaca doesn't need cold stratification and A purpurascens needs 12 weeks, but the Prairie Moon website says they both need 30 days. Not sure?

We have at least another month of "refrigerator" cold or colder, especially at night. The fluctuating temperatures outside may help move the stratification process along.

Whichever, I'll find out since I winter-sowed 5 species of Ascelpias this winter by February 4th, A. incarnata, tuberosa, syriaca, purpurascens, and variegata. They're all going to get 2-3 months of cold strat whether they need it or not!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Clothier's seed germination database

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reminder about those! Last year I WSed them nice and early. I'm glad to hear they should be ok sown now.

{{gwi:364349}}

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES