Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestguy33

Rhodos/Azaleas Help

midwestguy33
11 years ago

I have never planted rhodos or azaleas but want to plant some on the north side of our house as part of a larger landscaping project. The area receives little sun, (but does receive light if that makes sense). Height is not an issue (the taller the better) but plants can't grow wider than 6' or so (side of house). Can anyone give me some suggestions on specific varieties and any other advice? Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

You are way out of my zone :), but if you will check here you'll find a list of dependable rhododendrons for your area - Midwest Chapter

Here is a link that might be useful: Proven Performers

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Are any of these better in shady conditions (maybe an hour or two of direct sunlight) than others?

• akamainegrower
    11 years ago

If you look at Greer Garden's online catalog there is a list of rhodoendron varieties for various purposes, including shade. The Proven Performers list referenced above is awfully sparse in the elepidote - evergreen large leaf types -category which is what most people envision when they think of rhododendrons. Additionally, small leaf elepidotes of which there are many more on the PP list, are not well adapted to a lot of shade. In general, most large leaf varieties will grow well in shade, but with reduced bloom. Two hours of direct sun and good light should mean very reasonable flower bud production for most varieties. A good local nursery should be able to help in selection as well.

• rhodyman
    11 years ago

I have a web page of shade tolerant rhododendrons at
    http://rhodyman.net/rhodynsh.php#anchorSHADE

The best are a couple large leaved that are hardy:
    Boule de Neige (white with great foliage).
    Nova Zembla (red with good foliage).

The rest are either tender or small leaved.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I've been paying closer attention to the sun/shade patterns and, as of now, it looks like this area gets 3-4 hours of afternoon/evening sun. This may change throughout the year, but it is more than I thought. Not sure if this changes what I can and can not plant???

• rhodyman
    11 years ago

You should be able to grow most hardy rhododendrons with that much sun. Nova Zembla and Boule de Neige would still be good choices if you like red and white.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz