Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvoeg

any way to encourage new growth on rhodo (pic)

cvoeg
16 years ago

location is southern New Hampshire/ z5

Is there any way to try to get this shrub to fill in?

{{gwi:390236}}

Comments (5)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

About the only way is to cut back the limb that is out of proportion with the rest of the plant and give the plant more sun. You had good bud set and the leaves look nice and healthy, but more sun would give you shorter more balanced growth and help it fill in.

If you aren't brave enough to cut off the gangly part, then cut off the ends of the gangly part. New buds should open up on the stems of the gangly part. But more light will make it come back with much better shape.

If you have to move it, they are easy to move. Just remember they have shallow roots and the root should not be disturbed any more than necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• cvoeg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your advice!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I just whacked one that was similarly out of shape. It is tough but I know it will fill in.

• kattydid
    16 years ago

About 4 years ago, hubby and I tried to pull up a huge rodie in the front yard. All that was left was a stump, and we could not get it out so we left it. I came back so beautiful. This year it finally has tons of blooms. Glad we left the stump. lol

• botann
    16 years ago

I would move it. It's way too close to the house. It will eventually flop over and possible break the first time it snows or ices up.

Sponsored