Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Landfill Plant Dig-Free - Sat., Feb 21 -12-4 pm

tsmith2579
15 years ago

The annual landfill plant dig will be held at the New Georgia landfill on SATURDAY, February 21 from 12-4 p.m. Bring shovels, wheel barrows, whatever you need to get the plants out of rough terrain. You will encounter small mountains, valleys, small creeks, Alabama Power right-of-ways, and thick underbrush. Be sure to bring water or soft drinks. If you know your (dormant) plants and know on what kinds of terrain certain plants grow (sun, shade, hill tops, valleys, etc.) you will find almost anything you want which is native to central Alabama: magnolias, ferns, oak leaf hydrangeas, oak, pine, beech, birch, tupelo, black gum, sweet gum, tulip poplar, blackberry, dewberry, winterberry holly

Take I-65 to Exit 264 (north of downtown Birmingham) and follow the signs. You can get driving directions by entering your address and the landfill address (New Georgia Landfill, 2800 47th Ave. North, Birmingham, AL 35207) on the MapQuest address I have provided. http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp

For safety reasons be sure to lock your doors when you leave I-65. This event is sponsored by the Keep Birmingham Beautiful Board. For more information call 205-254-2472.

Comments (8)

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Take I-65 to Exit 264 (north of downtown Birmingham) and follow the signs. You can get driving directions by entering your address and the landfill address (New Georgia Landfill, 2800 47th Ave. North, Birmingham, AL 35207) on the MapQuest address I have provided. http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant DIg Mapping Link

• User
    15 years ago

Aha, I was just asking about this event, who sponsored etc.
    Quite an ambitious undertaking. Will it have a big writeup in the paper? If so, could you also please have them send it to the Keep MOBILE Beautiful organization?
    Thanks.

• tedevore
    15 years ago

The plant dig is sponsored by the Keep birmingham Beautiful commission,
    the Bham Dept of Public Works, and the alabama forestry commission.

I saw in a write-up about it that it is supposed to be "kick-off" event for more events for National Arbor Week, but it didn't say what those would be.

We used to have TWO landfill plant digs each year, and I always enjoyed the one out at Turkey Creek north of Tarrant area. Of course our incompetent nest of crooks known as jefferson county govt. sold the landfill to private interests, and that plant dig is no more.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Birmingham News doesn't do big spreads about gardening activities. It is the only newspaper in town and it gets smaller and less informative every day. That is why we started calling it the Birmingham Snooze. There is a Saturday gardening section and it will have a tiny blurb under the Garden Calendar section on the day of the plant dig. The Keep Birmingham Beautiful Board just doesn't put the advertisement of this event. You would think they would ask to have it listed on the Saturday garden calendar 2 or 3 weeks before the event. Why not go to the original GW post and call the Board and ask them to send you some info about it. Then you can forward it to someone in Mobile. How late into spring do you usually stay in Mobile before going up North?

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I am going to try to make this one year - although not this year. Maybe by next year i will be ready to do more beds, i think this year i am going to be dividing and cleaning out - which will be great for the fall swap!

• User
    15 years ago

Tell me how the dig went. I am very interested in a first hand report. ......

• User
    15 years ago

• User
    15 years ago

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH