Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playintheyard

thanks to you all !! I'm hooked

playintheyard
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

i'm a newbie and have done around 50 containers! I check this site out all the time and have learned so much. My daughter is goofing on me all the time teasing me about my "new friends & the cult I've joined" lol

I seem to be buying seeds every time I go shopping and boy am I loveing It!!

Every time you guys talk about a differant plant I want it. I started a butterfly and hummer garden last year and sprent a small fortune on perrenials can't wait to see what will happen this year w/ all my "babies"!!

Someone suggested planting plants w/ lot's of seeds so next year I will be able to join in swaps, what would these be?

Thanks again for this wonderful new hobbie!!

Comments (4)

• northforker
    16 years ago

That might have been me, spreading my good ideas (smile)that have me up to me ears in seeds at the moment!

OK here's how the big swaps work: Go to the list of all the GW forums, click into seed/plant exchange,then click into something listed as "Round Robin". Listed there are some swaps (even now - but there are more in the fall when folks have freshly harvested seed)) that you send seed to one specific person (the seed swap host) and because lots of other people are participating as well, the host mixes them up and sends everyone BACK different seeds. There are variations...you have to read each swap guidelines, but in general you get back the number of packets you sent in.For example if you send in 5 packets each of 4 varietes, you would be sending 20 packets in and get 20 (different) packets back. Sometimes a host is willing to take "requests", so if you are looking for a specific thing (say zinnia seeds) they will try to send those back, or sometimes you can say "anything that grows in the shade". When the packet comes, it feels like christmas morning! But then, of course, you have this... what am I going to DO with all these seeds if they germinate into plants question!

If you are WSing now and grow flowers/veggies this summer - you WILL have seeds to harvest! You will also have lots of questions about how to do this and how to package them, etc. People on the forum are always helpful! Just beware: It turns your winter(sowing) -spring (planting)- summer (tending)hobby into a fall (harvesting and packaging) hobby as well! And remember...you can do individual swap with members right here on WS - just go to the link at the top.

Nancy

• tansy_moon
    16 years ago

Any plant which is natural or heirloom (not hybrid or cooked up in a laboratory) is a plant you can collect seeds from.

Plants that have been genetically altered or grafted usually don't produce useful seeds.

So, if you want to be a seed saver, go natural!

• tansy_moon
    16 years ago

Hi, Play:
    I also forgot to say that I'm a WS newbie too (though a long-time gardener).

I have around 30 containers done and not a single sprout. :(
    I hope I am going to be alright!

• playintheyard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Nancy that sounds like fun, I'll have to check out - harvesting seeds soon. Does it often happen that someones seeds are no good? I would hate to do that to another,

Tansy I'm sure you'll have sprouts soon where are you located? I don't expect to see any for a while (boo)
    annette

Sponsored