Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Chestnut oak ( Quercus Prinus) acorns

poaky1
9 years ago

If anyone wants acorns from Chestnut oak.... well see for yourself........ {{gwi:426504}} there are all these on each branch. They will go to waste if nobody is interested.

Comments (16)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Hi Poaky,

I'd be interested.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Is this your tree? I didn't realize any of your oaks were bearing-age yet.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

That's her tree. One of my favorite oaks. I'd definitely grow 32 poaky.

Thanks!

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

How does it grow as a seedling?

I've got Q. michauxii and Q. coccinea I started this spring.

They both seem vigorous - growing about three almost continuous flushes. The tallest coccinea ia about 18" and the tallest michauxii is nearing 30".

This is in root-pruning pots in Al's 5-1-1 mix with good fertility, full sun, and good moisture but good drainage.

I've heard Q. prinus is a much less robust seedling the first year.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I grew prinus between my sidewalk and garage along with a dozen or more oak-species. The larger the acorn the larger the plant: year 1, 2, etc-. A small acorn such as marlandica, a very small seedling.

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Poaky, when they're ripe (brown & readily come out of caps or already fallen), you can pick some, let 'em dry on a sunny windowsill a few days (that ruins them for planting) & taste them. Many chestnut oak acorns are alittle bitter, but occasional trees have no bitterness. Same w/white & burr oak acorns.

If you want real mouth-puckering bitterness, try that w/some black oak acorns....

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

They will go to waste if nobody is interested.

You don't have squirrels, turkeys or deer?

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

The best way to get them before the squirrels take them all...once a few drop from the caps on their own, you can try gently knocking the branches with a stick. They should fall easily and you can gather the fresh-fallen ones.

if they don't fall yet, try every few days. I'd start around Oct. 1 but I'm not 100% sure when Chestnut Oak acorns "ripen".

I'd be interested in a dozen or so.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Yes! Message me with your email address and I'll send you my address.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 14:25

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax has the first 60 ripe acorns, he gave me 4 free Pecan trees, so I think it is only right. When the other peeps email me tell me how many acorns you want and of course your mailing address. If you (all but Dax) want 10 acorns or less, I won't ask for any money, after 10 I could use some money towards shipping. I am surprised anyone wants acorns because I have mentioned this before, but didn't add a picture (or maybe I did) and nobody was ever interested. AS mentioned above these acorns aren't bitter, and could be used for food. No I never ate them. I am guessing at the 60 acorns Dax. I will read the email again, I seem to think 60 acorns is what you need. If wrong don't worry, I'll look again.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I must have missed your first post, poaky.

Dax gets dibs. I can email you but it doesn't look like GW will let me.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

Q.prinus must bear acorns more heavily than Q.alba, when I go hiking in the mountains it seems like the ground is always covered with acorns underneath them.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alabamatreehugger, yes, these trees are prolific seed droppers. Maybe those who said they wanted seed/acorns, should think of that before I send them. Hair yes, as Dax said it is my tree. It is about 7-8 years old and has put out seed for the past 3 (or longer) years. They grow very fast where rainfall is good, but can grow in dry areas in the eastern US. But out west may be too dry. I was told this when I recommended it to western US person. They can grow on steep inclines in forest here in the eastern US, but are slow growers there. I have 2 of them, one is getting wide and the other is skinnier, not upright, but just skinnier. One has a larger mulch circle, maybe that is making it grow wider? As far as deer and other wildlife eating the acorns also, they must not know about the acorns, or they may be afraid of my mom's cats, sounds strange, but maybe they are. Something beheaded the Burr oak from Dax's acorn, it had to be semi-tall. Maybe it was a groundhog, they can stand on their hind legs and lean til plants tilt to the ground.

• Mario.Q
    9 years ago

I'd love some, but have no idea how to email or send a private message in this forum. Let me know how to contact you. Thanks!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to everyone, I think that i must have never put my email address into my Gardenweb registry, I never figured I would be offering anytyhing to anyone or whatever. I am going to try to put my email info where you peeps can see it. but. If you can't see it i will try to get my brother to help me make it where peeps email info is available to me. The acorns are still green as of today anyway.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was able to see Hairmetal's email only. Mine isn't displayed although, I put it on my profile info where you put your birthday. My email is julie.gogola@yahoo.com. Just email me edcolin, hairmetal (if you don't get my email) Mario and anyone else wanting acorns. I hope I don't get junk email from posting my email online. Tell me your address and number of acorns wanted don't go crazy on me with the amount but 30 ish, (besides Dax) is reasonable.