Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisydawnny

And he said I was clever....

daisydawnny
15 years ago

While we were working out in the yard this weekend my neighbor peered over the fence and looked at my milk jugs and containers and said, oh that is a very clever setup you have there. I told him I could not take credit for the cleverness and showed him my sprouts and talked about how some of those jugs were sown in January. He was VERY intriqued. I told him about GW and Trudi's site. We may have another new member soon! Actually, my neighbor on the other side was also very interested in my set up and commended me on my "early" sprouts. I really thought they would have had a reaction like I had totally flipped my lid this time!

Just thought I would share the positive comments I have recieved.

Comments (6)

• dorisl
    15 years ago

You are blessed, daisy!

I live in constant anxiety (well constant MILD anxiety) that my neighbors are going to freak out about the jugs and the compost bin and call the village and get be exported or something.

And the thought of blooms isnt enough to quell it. Ive also got mild anxiety that Ill be violating some HOA clause by not planting 500-identical-bedding-plant-impatients-purchased from and installed by the expensive nursery.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

I live in a HOA enclave too, but so far all a couple of the neighbors have only said nice things.
    My anxiety is about inadvertently killing my sprouts when I plant them out!

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank goodness I have a double lot with stockade fence around most of it. The only people who can see my set up are the neighbors on either side of me. I'm sure I would get a letter from our very picky township if my jugs were exposed. (Did I just say that?, lol)

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

I live in a condo and my cold frame is on my patio. In the middle of winter, my husband and I got a notice saying that only things that "belonged" on a patio, ie: grills and patio furniture, were allowed on patios. Inspectors will follow up and a $50.00 fine would be attached to the monthly fees. YIKES!

My husband and I spoke to the Assc. Pres. "Gary", he knew what we doing and told us not to worry. The first year I winter sowed, these were still apartments and we didn't have much of a problem. Back then I had offered Gary flowers for his small space, so he knew what I was doing. At the next HOA meeting after receiving the notice, I asked for permission to plant my Morning Glories on the fence around the pool area and it was granted.

My suggestions... spread out your extras! Gorilla Garden in public areas, adding just a SMALL amount of color here and there. You will win over your neighbors and create allies at the same time. Give them flowers! Your close neighbors will probably the first ones to complain or to hear one. If they are given any extras, or offered extras, they will either NOT complain to your HOA or they will defend you if they hear a complaint from someone else, possibly preventing your HOA from hearing it!

Stay on top of your HOA meetings, you want them to know you and to know that you really do care about the community. It's easier to "forgive" someone who's intentions have always been known to be good. It might also give you more warning if someone might be complaining or is unhappy with your "pot ghetto".

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

It's great to have supportive neighbors! That's so nice that they're so interested.

To keep immediate neighbors on your side, I also recommend finding out what they really like, and ending up with extra of that after guests leave. "hey, do you like ____ beer? (or chocolate cake, or whatever) I bought some for my brother-in-law, and they're gone now..." I also save my aluminum cans for the neighbor--he uses them to support his beer habit :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Daisy,

I always try to end my day with something positive before hitting the pillow. Your post is it for this day. Thanks for telling us about friends and good neighbours and sharing with them. Makes my heart feel good. Good night. :O)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus