Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

I just harvested garlic, now what???

SunshineZone7
10 years ago

I thought the garlic would not be ready until July so I thought I had time to figure this out. Then I realized the garlic I planted in the front yard looked ready, so I pulled it up. Now what? Do I wash it? I just rubbed the dirt off and I laid it on a bench out of the sun. I read it has to cure for 3 weeks either outside out of the sun or in a well ventilated room, and then it stores in a 40 degree room. So what is better, outside in the heat or inside for 3 weeks? And then after that I don't have a 40 degree room, my basement is probably 65! HELP

Comments (8)

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an up close pic. I have no idea what kind of garlic this is. This fall I will more attention :)

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I have harvested all of mine as well. I have it hanging in my shed outside with the window open. It's pretty hot in there as we are in the 90's but the garlic seems to be curing well. I braided all of mine after it sat in there laid out on a sheet of wood for about a week. I will have to post some pics of the braids.
    Rub the dirt off with a garden gloved hand after it has cured for a few days to a week, some wrappers will come off in the process but that is just fine.
    Cheers!!

• Mark
    10 years ago

Great job, that garlic looks nice.

My suggestion is to bundle that garlic together by tying it midway with a string. If there's more I don't see in the picture, put about 10-15 in a bundle. Now find a nice place in the shade to hang it, where no rain will fall on it. Maybe under the awning on a north or east facing porch? You can also leave it on that table, but try to find a shadier place that gets some ventilation.

Let your garlic cure like this for a month. Then on a dry day, take it down, cut the tops off leaving about 1/2" neck, clip the roots closely, wipe a little dirt off (as said above) then store in a dark, cool place inside. You don't need to have 40F storage space. Put it in a loose fitting box in a cool closet or something like that. A basement is fine too as long as its dry.
    Well cured garlic kept in a cool place in the house like this will keep well into the winter. Plenty of time to eat most of it and maybe have some to plant again this fall.

-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 0:58

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I like MADRONE's idea. You want shade and not so hot where lots of air is moving.
    Once dried the you can trim off the roots and top, I used to keep then untrimmed because I was not going to sell them.
    I wouldn't even wash them, just dry them as they came out of the ground and no peeling of dried stuff on them. They can help to protect garlic from becoming dehydrated.
    I would only clean a few and bring them to my kitchen to be used.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! I have a small gazebo and most of it does not get any sun at all. It shouldn't get wet unless there is a major storm with strong winds to blow it in but I don't think that happens. It is screened in. There is a metal table in there.....do you think I can lay newspaper on it and lay the garlic on that? I can try to think of a way to hang them I guess. Would it be better in the gazebo or in my basement for the few first weeks/month?

I like the bundle and hang idea. I can make that happen in a few days. So gazebo or basement, that is the question.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

You want air movement so I would say gazebo.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, they are now in the gazebo on a table on some newspaper totally out of the sun. i need to figure out a way to hang them. Thank you all so much! There is nice air movement in there.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

I still have garlic from last year. Just depends on the variety, does it not? Earlies go fast and the lates are in it for the long run. OR SO IT SEEMS TO ME Just my opinion, not the opinion of a commercial grower although I do sell seed to a commercial grower.

Not that I'd want to eat what is left when I have a bounty of fresh.