Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Am I/Newbie Seed Project a Grandma?

bakemom_gw
16 years ago

Hey noobs, have you guys had sprouts from the Newbie Seed Project? Some seeds are from my own garden and many more are from donors. We would like to hear if you have had success. I wanted to post my personal grandparent thread, but my hard drive finally crashed for good last week. I have a new Dell coming this week, but I lost my spread sheets. Rats.

Who's YOUR grandmomma/daddy?

Comments (10)

• clumsygrdner
    16 years ago

My grandparents of WS

Bakemom (Newbie Seed Packet and Amsonia)
    J Mangrum (TN Purple Coneflower)
    Karen (Yvonne's Salvia)
    B C Richards (Donated)
    D Moyer (Many many native flowers)

BIG HUGS AND THANKS!

• lillyjane
    16 years ago

Hi Bakemom,
    I got a newbie packet from nuthatch_mo. I need to keep better records, but I received several seeds from different people at GW. ") Angie (Deeogee) has been very good to me, (bless her heart.) I have been getting some seeds from ebay & also from the local stores (I need to go to seeds acholics hahaha) so far I have 109 large jugs (milk & pop) & 260 of the foam cups with about 60 percent sprouts so far but I am still planting also ") I also have pics when I get time to figure how to post them. Angie has tried to help me with that also ! LOL SOOO MUCH TO LEARN !

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Way too many to mention but you are one of them bakemom! Thanks so much for all you do for newbies! This is my first year to WS. I planted out 210 perennials and will have more than that many annuals. I'm at 53% germination on my perennials and I just started my annuals. I just wished some WSers lived close enough for me to give some of these plants to!!!!

• lv2garden2008
    16 years ago

Hey, from my newbie seed packet that you gave me, I have sprouts of (most are just now sprouting other than the leaf lettuce which was the first to sprout):

Echinacea Tennessee Coneflower
    Variegated Nicondra
    Marigold
    Hosta
    Cleome
    Hosta
    Ornamental pepper
    Oriental niche leaf lettuce
    Switchgrass

I have no idea whose gardens they come from so THANK YOU all who donated seeds! It was like Christmas.

Betsy

• threas
    16 years ago

I'm still waiting on Amsonia & Melapodium to sprout!

Theresa

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

Almost all of mine from the newbie pack have sprouted. I started a new bunch last week so I am waiting on them. My babies are getting so big I have to get busy out in the yard to make room for them and get them planted out. I see lots of HOS in my future. Unfortunately, I have really caught the bug, I can't pass a seed rack without something (sometimes many somethings) following me home. I will have to do a lot of spring sowing and I am sure I will have leftovers for next year.

Thanks bakemom, for all the wonderful seeds.

• rbrady
    16 years ago

I definitely need to keep better records, but I do know that the following are grandparents so far (more to come):

Bakemom-dill
    Strmywthr-single purple poppies
    Ilovefarac-california poppies (white and purple)
    mia_r-agastache "Golden Jubilee" and Eupatorium rugosum "chocolate"
    happyseed-white poppies
    agirlsgirl-Salvia "purple rain"

Congratulations! And thanks to everyone who traded or "donated" seeds to me! Wintersowing is awesome!

Rhonda

• gardenluv
    16 years ago

You are actually a great grabdma here. From your pack sent to me in 2006, and their children, I have Mexican hat, Black hollyhocks, coreopsis, knautia, and Batchelor Buttons up and growing. You sent me so many seeds, that it was hard to decide whether I wanted to save my own seeds, since you sent me enough to plant for several years! I love your generosity! Thank you so much from a Sophmore newbie!

• katmatney
    16 years ago

Bakemom
    I want to thank you and everyone who was involved in the newbie wintersowing seed exchange. Up here in the cold part of New York State (zone 5) we are just starting to get a few bottles with sprouts. I turned on two of my friends to wintersowing. I sowed 137 containers, another ws 57 containers and another sowed 10 containers. I have baby breath, painted daisy and verbascum started so far. Will keep posted when i have more containers wearing green.
    Thank you everyone for the seeds, information and patience as the newbies learned and grew (no pun intended) ha ha ha
    along with your experts.
    Thanks
    Kathy

• katmatney
    16 years ago

Bakemom
    I am having a ball with wintersowing. I am at about 50% germination of my 137 containers. I run home everyday from work and see another and another and another sprouting. This is so great.I just know that even more will sprout with this great weather we are having here in upstate NY. I used my camera phone to show everyone at work who thought that i was nuts for doing this. I bragged how i was going to have 60 new plants to enjoy. They are believers now, thanks to everyones help with the donation of seeds. Now i just have to have my husband till a new bed for me. Yes, we had to go and buy a rotiller now for the new beds and veggie garden. I am also going to try my hand at lasagna gardening next. You guys are a wealth of information and knowledge.
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks
    Kathy

Sponsored