Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaggudada

Where do you place your WS containers?

jaggudada
13 years ago

Do you place your containers under open sky? if yes, do you close the cap when it's snowing hard up until March and then open it once you start seeing warmer days?

If you do keep your containers under open sky, do you move them to a somewhat protected location such as under roof overhangs etc so as to protect snow/ice once the seeds sprout?

or you keep in the same spot from day one up until they get planted out in the garden. I'm assuming seedlings will need sunlight when they sprout? So if you are placing them under protected structure, you have to ensure that you get atleast few hours of sun when it is sunny out in spring.

Comments (4)

• docmom_gw
    13 years ago

I put mine in the sunniest spot I can find, but out of sight of neighbors when possible, and out of reach of my Newfoundland dog. I leave the caps off from the very start. Seeds need the snow and freeze thaw cycles to help crack their hulls and to help them settle into a good spot with perfect soil contact. Then I ignore them until they sprout. Once sprouted they need extra protection from over heating or drying out, possibly the entire cover removed, etc.

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once sprouted they need extra protection from over heating or drying out, possibly the entire cover removed, etc.

Can you be little more specific as to what you do after they sprout? Till they sprout I can understand they need little care. I also read about opening the top as the weather heats up.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

I've put them in various places from:

-against the foundation, South side of the house
    -out in the open on the driveway- south side of the house
    -out in the open on a table- North side of the house

Cap...you mean the little one on a milk jug? Throw it away. It's not used.

I typically don't move containers, and they usually don't sprout until the snow/ice season is over. If we have a rogue snowstorm in April, oh well. It's not likely that too much would get inside them, anyway.

Because our change of seasons can be pretty erratic in the weather dept, there might be days that get up to 70 and I'll take the tape off my sprouted containers and flop back the hinge so they don't fry during the daytime, then flop it back over at night if the temps haven't consistently been ~43+ (that's my own personal degree mark).
    This might go on for about a week until the temps are more stable. But this on/off thing is not something that everyone does, nor is it "routine."
    I just don't want my containers heating up to 90 inside and killing my seedlings (I also go by the container temp can be 20 degrees higher inside than the air outside, so when it's 70+ outside, I don't want to kill them (btdt one year- oops!))

• docmom_gw
    13 years ago

Once I have containers sprouting, I usually pull the sprouted containers to one edge of my "pot ghetto" so I can find them more easily for checking moisture levels and dunking them in a bucket of water when needed. I also open the tops and actually set neighboring pots in each other's tops to hold them open to keep them from over heating.

Martha

Sponsored
Full-Service General Contractor Servicing Mecklenburg County, VA