Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

OT: I need a garden-safe house-wash

stage_rat
15 years ago

The north side of my house gets green...mildew? algae? liverwort? on it. In late summer 2007 I plunked a ladder in the fresh lasagna and climbed up and down, scrubbing the vinyl siding with detergent and a little bleach. Last year the house looked awful by June, meaning all that work didn't even buy me a year of pretty, and I just cringed and ignored it--the beds were full of plants. I now have 2 colors of stuff growing on the wall and I really want to stop cringing.

I can probably borrow a power-washer if I need to, but I'd prefer something that doesn't need it. I have a hudson garden sprayer if that will help.

I hope someone else has gone through this and can help--I found nothing in several searches.

Comments (9)

• docmom_gw
    15 years ago

I strongly suggest the power washer. It will save you hours of pain, it's safe for the garden, and you'll be surprised how much fun it is watching the beautiful house reappear before your eyes. And you won't dread a repeat performance, because the power washer makes it a much smaller job. Bite the bullet and just get it done. Just my 2 cents.

• stage_rat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Docmom: would I just use plain water in it? Or, what product do I use?

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

I bought something from Menards- it is green liquid used for power washing, RV's etc. I have to look up name but it is safe to use around live life.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Interesting question stage rat, and I hope there are some other options offered, because I have the same problem. However, I haven't attempted yet to wash the siding. I was going to try washing it this year, just using some dish soap and a scrub brush. Luckily, the mildew is just along the lower edge of the house, so I don't need the ladder.

I prefer not to use a power washer. We are on a well, and I just think the power washer wastes so much water, so I'm looking for other options.

:)
    Dee

• docmom_gw
    15 years ago

When we've power washed, it's usually been a camper or the kids' swing set or a really shady deck--things without plants around them. We've used standard liquid power washer soaps. However, the water alone would probably do as good a job. I'll bet there are "green" types of soap out there as well. People have to power wash around foundation plantings. If you're worried, you might also be able to throw a cheap drop cloth down to protect plants from direct splash. Personally, I'd try it without any soap and bet you'll be amazed at the result.

Martha

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Try Simple Green. I've been using it for years because it's totally non-toxic to plants and animals and I worry with the dogs and all the plants. Plus, I'm paranoid about getting run-off in the fish pond. Never have had any issue at all. And it smells fresh.

You can get it at HD. It's about $7-8.00 for a gallon. Goes a long way.

Prof

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

simple green is the name what I used as well.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Try baby shampoo. It's amazing that something so mild can do such a good job for cleaning. If you need, you can actually find organic brands too, or if you don't want to spend a lot of money you can get it at the dollar store. The baby shampoo (any shampoo actually) will do a fine job cleaning and also have a minor effect as a gentle plant food too.

• stage_rat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Simple Green is the best, I agree--I have never used it to wash my house, though! When I was a "welderer," we used it to clean steel before welding. The unscented is the best!!

I went the mild homemade way in 2007, with just a little dish detergent and bleach, and the green came back way too fast. Maybe the mildew lived on in the oh-so-convincing woodgrain, and the powerwasher or a stiffer brush (or Simple Green) will fix it.

Sponsored