Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Evergreen Asian Seeds

booberry85
14 years ago

I just looked at the Evergreen Asian Seed site. Their website is temporarily down (until May 5?). Does anyone know why? They are not taking any orders during this time. It's the heart of planting season. It seems like a very odd time to shut down.

Comments (18)

• jimster
    14 years ago

Odd. I've known them to shut down in the off season, but at this time of year????

Jim

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    14 years ago

Strange indeed, especially the bracket dates. Could be it a one-man operation, and that one has gone on vacation?

• bluebirdie
    14 years ago

They did this during the past and always came back as promised. Last year I checked, they seem to be doing some re-inventory. Luckily I got my latest order from them in January (I like to store their seeds in the frig for a few weeks before planting). They picked this time frame probably due to the fact that the peak seed planting season is a few months earlier for most of the west coast. They're based in S. Cal.

• digit
    14 years ago

Their website was closed in February, also. I remember checking back several weeks ago and it was still down. This was the first of many years that I did not plant Evergreen seed.

Their seed used to be available at a nearby Asian market. That store hasn't had a rack of seed for several years but that was where I first discovered Evergreen about 8 or so years ago.

I was wondering if this subject was going to come up on GW. Waiting until May to plan the garden and order seeds? Thank you, but NO!

I think that Evergreen may have gone down on a permanent basis.

digitSteve

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Gosh i hope you're wrong. Guess we'll know in three more days...

• ujgarden
    14 years ago

Probably you could check www.seedsofindia.com. I ordered some sees from them and received it promptly. I am located in BC, Canada.

JS

Here is a link that might be useful: uj's vegetable garden

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

Oh no! Just got into Asian vegetables two years ago. Evergreenseeds is my Asian seed source of choice. I hope they do come back.

• digit
    13 years ago

Sorry, I've been anxiously waiting for the 5th but I guess that is no longer necessary. The Evergreen home page has changed:

"Note:
    This site is temporarily closed.
    No order accepted and no shipping available."

There is no longer a mention of any date.

Times change, I've enjoyed a few things over the last few years from New Dimension. I'd like to see that company begin selling in larger sized packets and maybe a wider selection. I wish that AgroHaitai shipped to the US but, I guess, that time has passed, as well.

digitS'

• ladybug_la
    13 years ago

The site is open and functioning.

• ikea_gw
    13 years ago

Now they are closed again!! What is going on??

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Missed my window of opportunity. They're closed again until the 22nd.

• defrost49
    13 years ago

I ordered from AgroHatai for the first time this year. They ship to the US, at least they did to NH and cost was very reasonable.

• digit
    13 years ago

I hate to be a source of misinformation but if Evergreen keeps jerking us around, I don't know how it could be otherwise! What sort of "business model" are they following? They will have to show some stability before I will order from them again.

I did check with AgroHaiTai and there are, apparently, only some of their seeds that are listed as "Canada Only" so it looks like you can find some (perhaps, many) that they ship to the US.

Stopping now before I put my foot in my mouth, again . . .

Steve

• ikea_gw
    13 years ago

Another place to try might be Kitazawa Seed Co. I have never ordered from them before but the selection seems pretty good. I also have found asian vegetable seeds from Johnny's Select, and it is a very reputable seed company.

• jimster
    13 years ago

I've always like Evergreen because they have a large selection and their prices are reasonable. I hope they remain in business.

Jim

• tivo532
    12 years ago

Still close.

• john_p_wi
    12 years ago

They have been open this year, in fact I ordered from them earlier this spring. Their site says closed from July 29 to Aug 6. BTW, their search funtion still works....

• ikea_gw
    12 years ago

I placed one order in early summer from Evergreen. I think they just have a odd schedule, so you just need to check back periodically. I wonder if it is a mom and pop shop so whenever they are on vacation the store is closed. I suppose this is better than placing an order and not hearing back for a few weeks. A lot of people would be put off by that.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations