Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Warm afternoon in the GH

While there are more blooming than these 4, I thought it was a nice group: clockwise from top - Showmaster, Magnum (another very flat bloom), Green Dragon, and Evergreen.

I just counted 20 other "older" bulbs that I've had for years that are sending up 1-2 scapes each. This is just the start of the scape hunt as I hope to have another 50 of more send up scapes. I counted 142 pots of mature older bulbs, not counting bulbs new this year, my own crosses, or year-old seedlings.

I would hope that at least half of the older bulbs bloom.
Kristi

Comments (9)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there anyone else who gets so compulsive over hunting for scapes, or do you just say, "Hmmm.... there's another one. Ho hum...."

Geez.... I look for them, plant little flags in the pot so I can follow them, document, etc. I know my efforts don't make them bloom any faster, but I keep track of the number of scapes (I used to track the # of blooms/scape). It lets me remember who the star performers were, which ones were reliable bloomers, etc. Things to keep in mind when hybridizing.

Stay warm...
    K

• fishing_dentist
    11 years ago

You lucky girl! In my greenhouse everything is still frozen. Thats wy all my containers are still dormant in the basement!
    Lots of greets by the envious Frank :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank... Haven't seen any frogs yet, but lizards seem pretty happy!
    K

• bunnynomnom
    11 years ago

Wow, you have that many bulbs, Kristi? 142+? Must be very nice to have them all bloom at the same time. I wonder who has the most bulbs in this forum :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have at least 100 more pots...at last count (because I do keep a log) I had nearly 150 different named hybrids (some duplicates of several). I also have loads of crosses made by me over the past few years, but still waiting for those to bloom.

I also have about 20 "others" growing under a screened enclosure to protect them from flying insects. They have virus but I am determined to let them live out their natural life, but don't want to expose healthy bulbs to them. They are separated by screen and distance.

Over the weekend I got a shipment of 100 one-gallon pots and 35 pots that aren't quite 2-gallons. It will be time to transplant some bulbs and split mother bulbs from offsets before bulbs get moved to their "summer pasture" in 3-4 months.

K

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

Kristi how do you keep track of all of your bulbs, are they in a folder or do you store them in their own files on the computer?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a running list of name, source, and date acquired. I have photos of each in bloom (not each time they bloomed, but at least one photo of blooms).

Problem is... I changed computers last year so have photos on flash drive. Still have running list that I update each time a box arrives.
    K

• rene09
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms & yes I look for new scapes every day! I have many that are putting up scapes some are several inches high, cold spat has slowed them down, but it is warm today so I'll have blooms before long! Mine are all mixed up since I had to treat them for the Narcissus fly, lost many of mine to this pest!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

What did you treat with??
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions