Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2bamboo

Any success in Sacramento Valley, CA with Moso getting large?

new2bamboo
17 years ago

Anybody had any success with Moso growing in the Sacramento Valley? I hear it doesn't like the heat?

I have a stream I can put it along that would be similar to natural growing conditions.

Largest I've heard of was around 2.5 inches.

Maybe I should stick to a P. Bambusoides(Madake) to get large. I do like the Moso little leaves.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

The biggest plants I've seen myself were in Castro Valley, at Inadomi Nursery. I'd think it would love Sacramento, if kept moist and maybe a little shaded (especially young seed-raised plants). Possibly it's a little touchy about mineral salts, if so might have to flood the root zone occasionally when growing it there.

• new2bamboo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. How large was the moso. I think I'm going to pick up at 31 inch box of moso from Lakes Nursery. He has some great deals now if your interested. (he's selling the nusery)New castle, CA about 1/2 or less the cost of anything on the web. Plus they're big. You can get a 45 foot tall 4.5 inch diameter 31" box of Ph. bambusoides for 200. tough to transport)
    Moso has culms to about 1.5 inches, but about 30 in the box. In five years if it likes it I might have moso out of control.(yeah sure) I do have really great soil. 7 PH and water at 7 also. I'm trying to make some little forests with moso, Robert young, folsom nigra, henon, vivax aureocaulis. I have some narihira and walking stick and few others that I'll put along the creek. Most of my starts are at least 25 feet tall with good root mass, so it shouldn't be but a few years except for the moso. (maybe PH. bambusoides also) Thanks!

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

They had a small, contained grove at the back, tall and narrow. Not nearly as big as it can get, of course, you'd have to have perfect conditions for that. But still impressive. This was years ago, so I don't remember how many feet high it might have been.

They also had a nice clump of what was being grown at that time as Arundinaria falconeri.

• mike_marietta_sc_z8a
    17 years ago

Moso loves heat, what it doesn't like is a low relative humidity combined with that heat (Anderson, SC often gets summer high temps over 100F). When grown in hot, low RH conditions, its upper leaves tend to stay curled throughout the heat of the day. When the leaves are curled, there is little photosynthesis going on, and that is what is needed to produce large culms. During summer dry spells with its attendant lower RH, I have watched the leves in the upper canopy of my moso groves curl when the sun is out and then uncurl several minutes after the sun goes behind a cloud, then quickly curl again when the sun comes back out. Your best hope for growing large diameter moso in CA is to find a location in the midst of a forest of trees where their transpiration serves to raise the local RH. This is how Prafrance in southern France manages to grow large moso in a mediterranian climate. Plant it smack in the middle of 28 acres of bamboo with a few streams and ponds scattered throughout. You may want to carry a hygrometer with you as you search for the perfect spot.

• new2bamboo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, You confirm basically what I've heard but you are much more knowledgable about the exact habitat and why's of MOSO!
    OK, I have a stream on one side and lake about 300 feet away. But it's still very low humidity. As much water as it can drink and excellent soil. So I'm taking a chance( I have 6 other timbers to cover for me if it fails. But if it grows well, I'll be trimming every year to keep it out of the transission lines, so they don't hack it.
    Any feed back on the single ridge on the node of young culms? I'll link pictures tomorrow. I'm 99.something percent sure it's moso form Scott's valley grove. But everyone needs assurance! thanks for your knowledge. What do you think my chances are to get 5 " culms without leaf curl?
    I know my Ph. bamusoides and vivax will reach this in 4 years, quite a few around here with that size, but they don't have those cool litle leaves. The henon is close but it's different and needs trimming up.
    Pictues on the way!

• HU-49815289715
    3 years ago

I have not been to Manteca in ages, but there was for decades, maybe still is, a big stand in front of a Craftsman house on the main drag, impossible to miss, and it is hotter than hell there much of the year. I am going to try rooting the rainbow variety from starts on my back deck where it can get the breezes and reflected light off Clear Lake. Usually the nights cool down more than the Valley, but we have little frost where I am--Manteca probably gets more.

• HU-167825092
    6 months ago

I knew Jimmy Inadomi Nursery very well, he told me he brought two roots of moso bamboo that he brought into castro valley that he had in a suitcase from japan, he told me they were about two inches in height, we moved to castro valley in 1978 i heard he the had they largest grove of moso bamboo in the United States he was selling one 20’ moso in a container for $750 i bought a 5’ one for $250 its done very well in castro valley, he told me feed it hoof and horn meal !

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus