Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netwiz

Seedlings not thriving after a month in the ground?

netwiz
15 years ago

I planted out 6 melampodium and 10 profussion zinnias in a bed on Mothers Day. They are all still the same size now as they were when I planted them out! Most are looking a little sickly although they still have green leaves. The bed has clayish soil even after all the amending I did last year. I have several clematis in the same bed that are growing like gang busters so I guess the soil can't be THAT bad. I've been making sure to keep it watered so they don't fry... maybe they are too moist? These are the only seedlings that haven't started to grow now that the weather has warmed up.

Should I pot them up temporarily until they start to do better? I REALLY don't want to lose the melampodium. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Joanne

Comments (6)

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

My zinnia were slow going last year too...'Profusion' and 'Parks Cutting Blend', but took off middle June. This year I'd say it's been even slower growing for these and many others due to our below average temps. I have several varieties of Zinnia out there and barely coming up with 1st set of new leaves since planting mid May.
    This is my 1st with Melampodium and those too are no bigger than when I planted out. Only 1 new set of leaves have grown (not even fully expanded) since and it's been a month. I'd leave them alone though.

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

Have any fish emulsion? They might like to have a drink of that I always give plants fish emulsion at 4 leaf stage and then they take off

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

My mellies are sitting too. Guess we will have to be patient. I bought some mellies as backup and they are wilty and sulky - not like my winter sowing sprouts - small but sturdy.

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

Same here on the Profusion Zinnias and I wanted them so badly. I planted 2 pkgs and didn't get many plants. They look like they are dying. In fact a lot of my annuals did not get roots and grow. I attribute it to the cold spring weather. I did a little pinching on the Profusions that are still there. Now I have lprobably killed them.

• netwiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's reassuring to hear others have had the same experience. I'll just keep my eye on them and hope for the best. Thanks!

Joanne

• lynnem
    15 years ago

My Melampodium seedlings are just now starting to show some spurts of growth.. the heat wave we are having now will help, for sure.

Sponsored