Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjd_z7a_nj

Anyone growing Phyllostachys vivax in z7a?

jjd_z7a_nj
12 years ago

Is anyone out there growing P. vivax in z7a or even 6b with any success in getting good sized canes? Also at what temps would you expect to see cane dieback? Is Mosa a better option? I am looking for a larger timber type Phyllostachys with canes at least in the 3" range for my area. Large snowloads are not a regular issue where I am.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• steve_nj
    12 years ago

I have small starts in containers, but a previous attempt in the ground never grew beyond the initial culm. However, moso has done well for me; especially the hardier 'Anderson Clone'. I'm getting culms pushing 4" in diameter. Let me know in late summer if you want a rhizome & culm. Both are needed for a successful transplant. I have cold tolerant palm seedlings as well. Whereabouts do you live? This was from last year.
    {{gwi:407080}}

• jjd_z7a_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Steve. It's John D. Thanks for the Moso, I am very greatful! Lorie and I enjoyed our visit the other day. I would still like to try some P. vivax. Anyone know of any good, reliable bamboo nurseries?

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I grow Vivax in Zone 8 and snow loading is an issue with cane breakage even though we only get snow a couple of times a year, and even though it only hangs around for a couple of days. Any single overnight snow can cause cane breakage with Vivax. In addition, Vivax's hardiness rating is about 0F,, which is the temp it will die in ground. You will probably have leaf loss and culm dieback at maybe 10F. You should really consider another bamboo that will be stronger and hardier. I also am not sure you will see really big culms in your Zone, at least for quite a few years. My suggestion is something like Ph. atrovaginata (-10F hardiness), or Ph. nuda (-20F hardiness).

Below is the list of American Bamboo Society member nurseries; maybe you can find something close to you. There are many good online bamboo nurseries, but you are probably better off buying from someone local who can tell you how well certain species do in your Zone and how big they realistically get.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS

• jjd_z7a_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kudzu. Any experience with P. viridis? I know a few clones are currently flowering. 'Robert Young' is very nice. P.atrovaginata is def. on the list. P. Nuda is fairly common around here and doesn't really attain the size I am looking for. I do have P. Bissettii which is pushing close to 2" x 37' (actually at my parents place).

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I'm surprised that you have Ph. bissetii getting to that size, as that's about the limit to its growth, and Ph. nuda typically gets to be about the same mature size as bissetii. I grow Robert Young and it sizes up pretty well. My main concern keeps coming back to what will be the best balance for you between hardiness and size expectations. If you check out the photos on BambooWeb for various species, you will find hardiness and size specs for all of them, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

• jjd_z7a_nj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kudzu,
    Here is a link to my photos of P. Bissetii. These may be a little under the 2" mark but there are a few there.
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/JohnJD/Bamboo/

Sponsored