Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macgawd

How fast does this bamboo grow?

macgawd
15 years ago

I'm thinking of planting some bamboo as a screen, specifically "Bory" or "Tiger Bamboo". This bamboo grows to a maximum of between 30-50 feet tall, but I can't find anywhere that can tell me what it's growth rate per year may be. Obviously, the faster the better, but I want to get as specific as I can on this.

=M=

Comments (2)

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

It will take quite a few years for it to max out even under ideal conditions. For example, I planted my 5-gallon Bory over 3 years ago when it was about 5' tall. The new shoots this year got up to 7'-8'. How big a plant are you starting with, and what's your goal? The first several years in the ground you will probably get relatively little growth and culms that may not even be as big as those of the division you're planting.

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

I found this plant to be *extremely* fast growing. Evidently the Pacific Northwest is well suited to P. Nigra cultivars. I put in a 5-gallon, 5-foot high specimen. Each of the two successive years it doubled in height to 20 feet high. Sadly, I ended up removing it because I was not willing to keep up with its rambunctious nature. Its rhizomes went everywhere, and fast! I replaced it with a Fargesia Robusta. Much more suitable for the location.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz