Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

update

trudi_d
11 years ago

Early this morning I received an email from stopbadware.org that WinterSown.org was no longer effected by the viral code that had been planted by hackers into some of its files. Though I could remove a lot of the code I could not find it all and made the responsible decision to pull it down. So, there is right now a new homepage in place with links to the FAQs here, the archive copy, the forums here and at FB.

Over the next few weeks I'll be restoring the page contents based upon usage history. I did save the site stats from the busiest month and I'll use that as a guide to what pages need to go up sooner than later.

Throughout this whole event Winter Sowers across the net have just been wonderful. AgNIC has been a great source of relief and inspiration. I cannot say enough kind things to the good people who have let me know that they care and they love WinterSown.

So, that's it for now, I probably will take the weekend off and finally get a good night's sleep. Life goes forwards and so does Winter Sowing.

Kindly,

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is in all its one page glory!

Comments (4)

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Trudi, this is good news. I am glad everything is okay!
    Sincerely,
    Avis

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Thank you for all of your hard work, Trudi. I'm so sorry for all of this headache!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I want to push this up. Trudi, will you be doing a new site altogether?

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is still the same home URL, and much of the same content on the original URLs will be restored, but there will be some inevitable changes. In a way, it's like getting a new house and moving there. You bring along some of your old furnishings and things you love and are used to, and you also add some new things. In new rooms you can also change the drapes and rearrange the furniture. It takes a while to get set up in a new home. Sigh. Especially if you want to do it right.

As of yesterday I have up the home page, how to winter sow seeds outdoors, and the three seed offers. Next up is to put in the FAQs page by page, the seed lists, and then begin work on the photo gallery. I did download my site stats before tearing down the old site, so I am using that as a template as to the order of rebuilding. Obviously, the ones with the most traffic are getting installed first.

It's been a learning event for me too, especially with learning about and using new web utilizations available from Google. They have webmaster tools and analytics data too. A website is a content delivery system--for users it displays text, graphics and down-loadable content, and through links can take you other places with the same. On my side of the screeon, for that content to be displayed it must be retrieved. It is sent by file transfer protocol (FTP) and is stored on servers--now a cloud server--and its files are organized and tagged with metadata in a way that makes it easy to be searched and retrieved. Metadata is very interesting stuff; an an example, when I use botanical/agricultural words on the pages, I take matching terms from NALT (The USDA National Agricultural Library Thesaurus) and add them to the metadata, as well as words or phrases that will be picked up by search engines.

It's an ever-in-work project. The new website may be somewhat smaller as I perhaps combine some of the content and will eliminate pages with nil traffic, remove or decrease size of some of the graphics. The emphasis is towards quality content with out-links to related content on trusted .org, .edu, and .gov sites. Like the last site, I won't link to .coms unless that's the only content that I can find elsewhere. And like last site, no ads.

In a yin yang way, rebuilding the site is like a fabulously marvelous horrible nightmare. LOL. Sigh.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: The new WinterSown.Org Home Page

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus