Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_grown

Anyone here growing seedlings for distribution ?

mountain_grown
16 years ago

I need Musa Basjoo.

Thanks.

Rob-Cookeville

z7a Tennessee

Comments (5)

• shortleaf2002
    16 years ago

I just bought a approx. 2 foot tall Musa basjoo from Lowes for $12.98. If I get some pups next year I'd send you some.
    Heck, I might be taking it back for a refund next year, I plan on putting it in the ground here, soon. I'm gonna put that label and the 20 below to a test this Winter.
    Will

• hibiscus909
    16 years ago

Will~
    I would hold off on putting that basjoo in the ground. It is late to be doing that. Instead, get it planted next spring.

s.

• shortleaf2002
    16 years ago

Its already in the ground. I bought another one just like it today (half that price $7 something). I might hold off on this one though.
    The one in the ground seems to be doing fine, its leafing out more even. Actually, I think it might have a better chance out in the ground than it might have left in a pot for me to take care of all Winter. By chance if it doesn't show any sign of life in late Spring or so I'll dig it up for a full refund.

• mountain_grown
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WILL ,
    I would have waited on planting that banana.
    In our areas z5/6/7...you do not plant tropicals this time of year. Their root system needs warm soil to establish for the winter. I know you would rather have a returning plant than the refund..so do this. At the first hard frost or freeze (which ever comes first) your banana will burn back.
    Cut it back and leave about a foot exposed. Place chip wood mulch all around it and pile a ton of leaves on top of it. This should do the trick to keep it alive. They are very hardy . You could mulch it heavily and throw chopped up canna canes or pieces of evergreen branches over it also. You will be rewarded with a huge tropical display next summer. As for your potted one inside for the winter. Keep it near a window , water now and then and dont let it freeze. Its potted !
    It may look like warmed over death by spring but if you havent watered it to death or let it freeze , it will come out of it and you should plant it in the spring. Good Luck. hey , thanks for offering me pups but I have some . Im needing about 100 for a greenhouse sales venture next season. I appreciate it just the same.
    Good Luck Will

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

If you need 100 for next spring, and you're legit, have your tax numbers etc. contact sunshine horticulture, or rancho tissue technologies, or agristarts.