Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shef_rj

rex begonia 'fireworks' dead???

shef_rj
18 years ago

this is my first posting on GW.

I bought a begonia'fireworks' last year.It seemed to be doing well without me doing anything.

Then I followed advise given here that they need to misted often, after which the leaves began to rot.there was one good leaf which I tried to propagate but was unsuccessful.There are no more leaves, but I've not given up on it yet.In winter I watered it sparingly.the roots are intact and stem is still firm to touch.

What more can I do to get the plant to re-grow??? Or should i discard it???

Any help ........

Comments (4)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Begonias are good plants to procrastinate with--at least so far as throwing them away--and it's much too soon to throw out a Rex. They do often seem to go through a dormant period in winter, and as temperatures rise and day length increases they'll come out of it and start to grow. I'm curious about your comment that misting them made them mildew. I've never done much misting, but I don't believe that should have had that effect unless there's a problem with your water. (One of the reasons I don't mist is the water here.) I wouldn't think it would be too necessary in California--more important perhaps in cold climates where heating dries out the air. And about the leaf rotting and getting thrown out--for next time!--I put down a left-over leaf last fall, just because I had it, and after several months it had obviously rotted and I thought I should dump it. Didn't get around to it for awhile--and then discovered a tiny little plant growing. You never know!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I wouldn't discard it if the roots and stem look good.

• shef_rj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi greenelbows,
    I'm an absolute novice at gardening and didn't know abt 'zones' until a few weeks back:)So made the mistake of misting-which now i realize is probably not meant for those living in CA.
    I guess i'll ignore my rex for a few months(except for occasional watering).
    thanks
    -Shef

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Lots to learn, and you've come to a good place. Lots of helpful people on these forums. I've been at it since we lived in caves--or at least that's what one of my wide-eyed innocent kids thought a long time ago!--and I'm still learning, but the trip sure is fun! Good growing!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus