Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes_cor

Best Begonia's for Window Boxes

kes_cor
17 years ago

What are the best begonias to put outside in window boxes?

I used to plant Geraniums but the light was a little to low and didn't get enough flowering.

They face west and receive sun from about 1 - 3 PM.

I plant to mix them with double white impatiens, some trailing verbena (blue) & wandering jews.

I have two 3' boxes to fill.

I haven't had the best of luck with the double non stop tuberous as they get to tall and get fall over in heavy summer storms.

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

If not in hot afternoon sun, try tuberous, Dragon Wings are tall but robust and bloom continuously, rexes if semi-shady. Try a combo and see what does best for you.

Here are the majority of my rexes from last September.
    {{gwi:433062}}

• orchids41
    16 years ago

Holy Mackeral, hcmcdole!!! Those take my breath away! Do you grow your rexes in clay pots for the most part? Mine are either in plastic or set out in the garden, where they do very well, btw.

I would think late afternoon sun would be too hot for begonias, but then I'm in Florida, not Chicago. Maybe the red or pink dragon wings would be good candidate, since they use them down here as bedding plants, and as long as they get enough water, they seem to handle the heat and sun very well.

judy

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Hi Judy,

For the most part most of my rhizo and rex begonias are in clay pots (I tend to be heavy handed when it comes to watering).

I'm not in Chicago but in the Atlanta area and it does get pretty hot here. I think the begonias do fairly well with some sun but will burn (as I've recently done) if not acclimated. I've seen landscape begonias at Fairchild Gardens in Miami that had full afternoon sun on them without any ill effect. But then this was in late April 2005 and early March 2006 so maybe the garden has some shade during summer. I just know that it was getting pretty hot when I was down there.

Dragon Wings are very hard to beat for being tough and almost constantly blooming.

Here are some landscape begonias at Fairchild from last March. The two pictures with the hand in them is my meathook. The big leaf is nelumbiifolia and was in the conservatory. The rest of them pictures were outside in the gardens. The last picture shows how bright it was the day I was there and I put sunblock on knowing how hot it was the year before.

{{gwi:433063}}

{{gwi:433064}}

{{gwi:433065}}

{{gwi:433066}}

{{gwi:433067}}

{{gwi:433068}}

• orchids41
    16 years ago

Holy Cannoli! That's the biggest begonia leaf I ever saw!! I have a B. Art Hodes that's about to eat my front walk, but I don't think its leaves are *that* big.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Fairchild...March...Miami Orchid Show... Or am I seeing things? Do you also grow orchids? Those have been my passion for the past twenty years, but I'm getting tired of all the work they involve. judy