Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Begonia ID

tepelus
14 years ago

I just bought this pretty begonia today at Lowe's, and it was mislabeled Strawberry Begonia. It is obviously not. Do any of you know what kind this is? It's a deep iridescent cherry red, with black edge and center. The leaves are about three inches long. Thanks.

Karen

{{gwi:433801}}

Comments (6)

• hc mcdole
    14 years ago

That is probably B. 'Red Robin'. Another possibility could be B. 'Omaha Beefsteak'.

• tepelus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I googled both names, and I think it may be closer to Red Robin. It's my first begonia, the colors just grabbed me. I hope I can keep it alive, not so much in the care, but keeping my cats from chewing it up! If there is anything about caring for these plants you'd want to share with me, share away! I need to learn.

Karen

• hc mcdole
    14 years ago

Rexes are vibrant beauties and really accent any space or add some punch to a mixed bowl but they do have their problems too. Two problems off the bat are powdery mildew and dormancy.

A lot of rexes brought home will shortly show signs of fungal spots (just the nature of the beast) but it isn't the end of the world. I just removed 3 bad looking leaves off my newest rex and am starting some new ones with those ratty leaves. New leaves will soon replace the removed ones on the mother plant.

Rexes really put a show on in the fall with rich colors and some blooms (not really grown for blooms but it is like icing on the cake). This is also the time that mildew will start showing itself - cool damp conditions if you have them outdoors. You can start a prevention program on your plant before it becomes a problem or just remove the leaves when it looks terrible.

Dormancy is usually in the winter and is the time most new growers will continue watering thinking the plant is drying out too much. Then rot sets in due to the soil staying too wet too long. It's best to let it dry out some between watering.

Best advice is 1) start some new plants ASAP and 2) don't obsess over any losses.

• tepelus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Karen

• laura1
    14 years ago

beautiful plant/variety...it would have gotten my attention too!

• stuarthammer
    14 years ago

It's Red Robin, a Harmony hybrid.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County