Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyman

New Plants for 2009

butterflyman
15 years ago

I'm wondering what new plants people are trying for 2009?

Here's my list:

www.prairiemoon.com

Agalinis tenuifolia - Slender Gerardia - buckeye

Rumex orbiculatus - Great Water Dock - Bronze Copper

Andropogon scoparius - Little Bluestem - skippers

Lo & Behold- 'Blue Chip' Proven winners - buddleia dwarf

Buy at local nursery

Rumex acetosa -parkseed.com - Bronze Copper

Paw Paw - Zebra Swallowtail

Comments (20)

• Daniel Sanchez
    15 years ago

I am trying all the Milkweed species I can find! :-)

• saturniidaebreeder
    15 years ago

I'm going to grow all the Wild Black Cherry I can for my moths.
    For butterflies, I have many Butterfly Bushes and a bunch of others which they love. I also have Milkweed, but honestly, I'm not doing as much butterfly rearing as past years, moths have always been more in quantity and a favorite for me... theres also not the greatest population of Butterflies here. oh, and Parsley for Black Swallowtails. Basically only 3-4 species that are "common", some which aren't even very oftenly seen...
    S.B.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    15 years ago

I planted some Wild Black Cherry last year but they all died. I plan on trying again. Same for Staghorn Sumac.

New to my yard will be Sweetgum. Neighbor's tree I use was really messed up by windstorms last year so I want to get something going in my yard.

Totally new will be:
    Sassafras albidum
    Ruta graveolens

KC

• nanny56
    15 years ago

I am adding cosmos, some milkweed, dill and parsley. I would like to maybe try some rue if I can find some.

Hi Danny!! How many milkweeds are you up to now??

• butterflymomok
    15 years ago

Rue is easy to grow from seed. Check for seed on the internet. I've included a site that sells them for one dollar.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Rue seeds

• butterflyman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd definitely do your research before planting a Sweetgum tree. You'll be raking up those balls for the test of your life. They are beautiful trees, but most people don't like the thousands of balls that liter the ground.

15 years ago

I'm actually one of the few properties on my street that doesn't have a sweetgum tree. My next door neighbor's sweetgum had two low branches that hung in my yard. They were my 2 in the morning emergency supply leaves. New people bought the house and thought they were doing me a favor when they cut the branches off :( Anyway, their tree still drops the balls in my yard but all the branches are too high up to do me any good. The balls they drop don't cause me much grief because my lawn tractor just sucks them up.

I love sweetgum because:
    1) IMO, the leaves smell good which helps my house's rearing room

2) all the big moths I usually raise eat it, except polyphemus

3) cut branches placed in water last longer than any other tree branches I've ever used

4) they seem to grow like weeds. I'd take loads of leaves off the tree across the street but there were always more.

5) they are popular with the wild caterpillars around here

KC

• cezs12
    15 years ago

I like cherries, apricot, and jujubes they are nice for this year.. I love fruit bearing plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: landscapers utah

15 years ago

Somehow when I was researching what I wanted to do, I totally missed that ruta graveolens is not native to the US. I'm trying to stick to stuff native to Ohio. So, I ordered a ptelea trifoliata tree instead. I have a crab apple that has been dying for a few years so the hoptree should make for a good replacement.

• shellfreak
    15 years ago

Hairy/twining tournefortia. This vine has the most unbelievable smell. We got one over the weekend at our favorite native plant nursery. The nursery is on this couple's property and it is awesome. This vine was in a 30-foot oak tree and it was covered with nectaring Zebra Longwings, Julias & Gulf Frits. Not that I have a 30-foot oak anywhere, but I've got just the place for it.

Popcorn cassia- The sulphurs love this. Smells like hot buttered popcorn.

Rangoon creeper- What can I say, I'm a glutton for vines. I can't wait to see this in bloom.

Things got hit hard here in the 2 cold snaps we had. Lost my favorite passionvine (Lady Margaret) and my Pride of Barbados looks like it needs to go back there for a vacation.

Beverly

• Daniel Sanchez
    15 years ago

Hi nanny56!

Now I have a bunch more milkweeds.
    I have:

Arizona Milkweed
    Pineneedle Milkweed
    Indian Milkweed
    Green Antelopehorn Milkweed
    Spider Milkweed
    Texas Milkweed
    Zizotes Milkweed
    Pineland Milkweed
    Poke Milkweed
    Sullivant's Milkweed
    Swamp Milkweed
    Ice Ballet Milkweed
    Balloon Plant Milkweed
    Butterfly Milkweed
    Gay Butterflies Milkweed
    Purple Milkweed
    Heartleaf Milkweed(I think)
    Appolo Yellow Tropical Milkweed
    Swan Milkweed
    Narrow Leaf Milkweed
    Caribbean Milkweed
    Clasping Milkweed
    All Tropical Milkweed cultivars
    Few Flowered Milkweed
    Red Ring Milkweed
    and I think more. I do not have the seeds with me right now.

How are you?

• Daniel Sanchez
    15 years ago

Hi nanny56!

Now I have a bunch more milkweeds.
    I have:

Arizona Milkweed
    Pineneedle Milkweed
    Indian Milkweed
    Green Antelopehorn Milkweed
    Spider Milkweed
    Texas Milkweed
    Zizotes Milkweed
    Pineland Milkweed
    Poke Milkweed
    Sullivant's Milkweed
    Swamp Milkweed
    Ice Ballet Milkweed
    Balloon Plant Milkweed
    Butterfly Milkweed
    Gay Butterflies Milkweed
    Purple Milkweed
    Heartleaf Milkweed(I think)
    Appolo Yellow Tropical Milkweed
    Swan Milkweed
    Narrow Leaf Milkweed
    Caribbean Milkweed
    Clasping Milkweed
    All Tropical Milkweed cultivars
    Few Flowered Milkweed
    Red Ring Milkweed
    and I think more. I do not have the seeds with me right now.

How are you?

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

I've got a new cultivar of Salvia greggii called 'Maraschino' - I'll be planting it soon, probably tomorrow. None of my previous S. greggiis have lived more than a few years, even though I planted them in raised beds where they got good drainage, but I'm trying again.
    I've also got a new milkweed ordered - Asclepias exaltata. This one is supposed to be found in and on the edge of woods, so I've got just the place for it. I'm always looking for a milkweed that monarchs will use other than a. curassavica - I'd love to have a good perennial milkweed.
    I've also order three new spicebushes, these being lindera subcoriacea, which is rare but native to my immediate area. They're presently growing in containers, and I'm pleased to see that they're about to bloom and make leaves, with no dead areas being on any of them. I'm always looking for alternate laurels in hopes of finding something else the palamedes swallowtails will use other than Persea borbonia, Persea palustris, and others in that genus, is it?
    Did I get my nomenclature right, Larry? :)
    Sherry

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

Something else I did today that's new - sowed carrot seed. Most of the good host plants for black swallowtails won't hold up in the heat of summer down here, and last year somebody (can't remember who) suggested I try carrots. If they don't thrive, I'll just plant something else in that area later on, and if they thrive I'll either have black swallowtail cats, carrots to eat, or maybe both! :)
    Sherry

• butterflyman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have you tried Rue and Bronze Fennel for Black Swallowtails?
    They both do well in the heat of St. Louis.

• MissSherry
    15 years ago

Yes, I've got plenty of rue, and the black swallowtails will sometimes lay eggs on it. I've occasionally switched them to rue from fennel or dill when there was only a little of it left. Bronze fennel does better here than dill, but it still dies back to almost nothing in mid-summer.
    Giant swallowtails use my rue occasionally, too.
    Sherry

• jrcagle
    15 years ago

Danny: Wow. (bows to the king of milkweed)

I put in some A. serpentaria over the fall, and I'm hoping to have a strong crop this year. I haven't made final decisions about the rest, but I like the Little Bluestem idea.

Jeff

15 years ago

I ended up going way beyond my original plans.

Got a 3' sweetgum but then a local nursery was selling 12' for $99 so that is going in tomorrow. It is the "Silhouette" variety. Supposed to have a small spread and produce very few balls.

Ordered 2 4' ptelea trifoliatas but got 4. Planted one here, one at my kids' school and two are in containers.

Other trees
    (2) Prunus serotina
    Sassafras albidum
    (2) Salix nigra
    Rhus typhina - as opposed to the Tiger Eye variety I already have

Host plants
    Zizia aureas - black swallowtail
    Ruellia humilis - buckeye
    Ruellia caroliniensis - buckeye
    dwarf snapdragons - buckeye
    Asarum canadensis - pipevine swallowtail

Nectar plants
    Cephalanthus occidentalis
    Eupatorium coleestinum
    Eupatorium fistulosum
    Eupatorium maculatum
    Liatris spicata
    Phlox paniculata
    Phlox maculata

14 years ago

The sassafras and Eupatorium maculatum I bought did squat. So, today I took them back and got them replaced.

While I was there, I asked what milkweed they carried. I now have Asclepias incarnata and Asclepias verticillata. None of the common milkweed seeds I planted came up so now these plants put me back in the milkweed game.

I've been very impressed with the Salix nigras. They are a couple caterpillar magnets.

13 years ago

Thought I'd do a followup on how things went last year for what I planted in 2009:

3' sweetgum - still in pot because I have loads of volunteers - supposed to go plant at my kid's elementary tomorrow

12' Silhouette Sweetgum - doing fine - raised cecropia and HHD on it

Four 4' ptelea trifoliatas - one died, one not doing well in pot, one doing fine at kid's school and one doing GREAT at my house because I had GSTs on it last year - YEA!

Other trees
    (2) Prunus serotina - one died last year, other is trying to live despite deer attacks

Sassafras albidum - died in 2009

(2) Salix nigra - not doing great in their pots but I got viceroys last year so I'm happy!

Rhus typhina - deer will not let it grow :(

Host plants
    Zizia aureas - raised a bunch of BSTs on it last year

Ruellia humilis and Ruellia caroliniensis - grew fine last year but did not attract buckeyes

dwarf snapdragons - attracted my first buckeye cats ever - very pleased

Asarum canadensis - mail order ones died - ones from local nursery still living but not spreading - no pipevine cats

Nectar plants
    Cephalanthus occidentalis - raised a couple HHDs on it last year

Eupatorium coleestinum, Eupatorium fistulosum, and Eupatorium maculatum - all growing like weeds - wish I had put farther back in my garden since they get so tall

Liatris spicata - tried to live last year but Eupatoriums blocked its sun and it appeared to die off early. I don't expect it back this year.

Phlox paniculata and Phlox maculata - both attracted butterflies which is what I got them for

Sponsored