Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubby_gw

My attemp of soft Brug cuttings

Rubby
12 years ago

Note this was an experiment. Some will say to not overwinter "soft" Brug cutting with fear of rot. I had only one brug to be overwintered so I cut it back and these were the cuttings I had. Figured I might as well "try" to root them instead of just throwing them out. This would be my first winter with a brug because I was just introduced to the plant in July '11.

My basement is not heated and I put the cuttings into a cold window. Get about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight every morning.

Cuttings were taken on October 9th, 2011.

{{gwi:445185}}

My 2 Brug's as of this morning. Jan. 24th, 2012.

{{gwi:445186}}

And this is a picture of my original Brug. Didn't want to risk it in my basement so I brought to my Brother's house for dormancy. Not the best pic, but you can see it is sound asleep in hibernation:

{{gwi:445188}}

Comments (15)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Whoa- you're doing something right! Congrats! :)

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Nice job. Looking good. Must not be too cold in basement but then you're in zone 6.

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's funny though. It almost seems like they want to go dormant. Dropping leaves here & there, but it might just be normal due to growth. I think they stopped growing and I have held way back on the watering.

I just want them to make it another couple months until spring. The good news is the days are getting longer and we might be getting a heater for the basement. If we do, I better be prepared to pot them up again

• Bob_A
    12 years ago

Mine drop leaves too, but I assumed that it was due to lack of humidity.

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it is pretty much lack of everything (Water, Heat, Sunlight) that is telling the plant it is wintertime and to go to sleep

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Great job Rubby! I've tried green cuttings and a couple took, then proceeded to die.

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I just can't wait to get these things growing outdoors. Still have a couple of months to go. I hope they make it that long.

Then next year I can hopefully take hard wood cuttings. And hopefully do it mid-summer to give them a chance to root in well.

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Love the pictures! Reminds me of snorkeling in the Florida Keys many years ago. Just beautiful.

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Oops, wrong post. lol walked away from my computer and forgot which post I was in. LMBO

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL. I was wondering what you were talking about......

• plantmasterm
    12 years ago

those look great in my book..this is my 1st yr to try propagating of brugs..Ive had better luck with the hardwood cuttings I got from bill, thx bill, 3 have bit the dust and Im still struggling with the softwood, but you've encouraged me to keep going, I will try your method now..thx

• Lizzann_Ar
    12 years ago

Wow, great transformation in such a short amount of time. They look so healthy.

Lizann

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I feel I lucked out, but we'll see. Just to keep you up to date, the leaves have started to "sag" in the last week. I'm thinking they may be trying to go dormant, but I don't really want to let them. I would like to keep them looking the way they are until I can plant them.

I am going to pull them away from the window at night to try and stay away from the cold. I also might plant one of them up and out of the old soil they are in that doesn't want to hold any moisture.

I will take a pic tonight and send

• gordonhawk
    12 years ago

why wait till fall for cuttings... or chopping the plant up in the summer while it's trying it's best to make flowers for you... Solution : usually in the spring/summer as the plant starts growing.. it will put out a little bunch of leaves along the stalk.. these would grow into limbs for the bush it is trying to create.. just pinch this flourette off and stick it in some soil.. in a sheltered location.. it will root easily and you'll have a plant in short order.. pinching these off will also encourage straight tall growth of the limb.. an alternative to soft or brown cuttings.. but of the two.
    my favorite is rooting a thick hunk of lumber .. the easiest is rooting the flourette of leaves from the stalk

• Rubby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gordonhawk: You are correct and I like your thinking. I was given my Brug in July/August and didn't even know what it was. September came around and it was suggested I cut it back for the winter, so I did.

Instead of throwing out the cutting, I stuck them in some soil just to see what they would do. No loss if they were to croak on me.

As I get more experience with brug's I will be thinking like you. Until then, I just pray for the spring so I can get out in my yard and start working.....:-)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio