Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindeea_gw

2009 Leftover Seeds

cindeea
13 years ago

I found some leftover seeds from last year that somehow didn't make it into Maria's envelope. They have been in my computer room in envelopes in the AC. I think I will try to grow some to see if any take. The are mostly SanRemo crosses-selfed, x Vera and X Vitattum plus Rembrandt x Vera and some Limona seeds Jodi sent me. Worth experimenting-nothing to loose. I'll keep you posted. If anyone wants to try some, I hae Lots! One envelope is either San Remo or Rembrandt crossed or selfed. Don't know which...ohhhh mystery!!

Comments (14)

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Sounds like fun! I would to try the Limona seeds if you have enough to share. I sent you an email.

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Cindee, for your info:

Around two months ago, I started, in water, a package of "San Remo x Magic Green" that you collected in 2008 and sent to me then (but I somehow missed the package in my fridge!).

Out of around 10 seeds, I got three growing to "transplanting" stage and I did pot them up more than two weeks ago! They are growing ok now.

Incredible, isn't it? So I'm sure you will have sprouts from your batch of 2009.

Xuan

• cindeea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great news, Xuan! SR and MJ could be a cool combo. I think I have only 1 seedling still going of that mix. This encourages me to float these guys. I got new plastic containers last evening!! Please note anything I may have put out there from 2008-2010 as Vittatum crosses, may be CLOWN crosses...hard to say until the flowers bloom.

Starting a Journal TODAY so I can better remember things!!

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Please keep us informed of viobility ratio

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

I would love some of these seeds and could send you a bunch of daylily seeds in trade!

• cindeea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, Carmen, the seeds I had are already divied up and ready to mail.

Arif-I will check my containers tonite for developments. It is an odd time of year for me to be floating seed, for sure. Gives me something to do until, like Xuan, I wait for Ami spikes and Flowers to come to the warmer climates.

• cindeea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay but I am quite surprised with the germination rate!

San Remo x Vera 9 out of 17 roots are showing!
    Rembrandt x Vera 15 of 16 are showing a root, some barely poking thru, others are well endowed! I am leaving the 16th. I have hopes for the last late bloomer!
    OK now for Limona(I am opening the floating tupperware tubs as I type)
    Limona x self(from lovely Jodi) 8 of 13 roots showing
    I am so impressed. I guess year old seeds hold up pretty well in Florida! The San Remo crossings were my own and the Limona came from Jodi up in IL where it is almost always cold.
    For anyone curious about my technique. I fill small plastic re-usable food containers with water. The containers never have had food in them, I use them solely for Ami seed floats. I add a couple/few drops Hydrogen Peroxide(to a pint?) and enough seeds to float and not over lap each other.
    {{gwi:433074}}From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

They were in the warmest room in the house(IN FLORIDA!) in a south window that gets sun/part sun almost all day. Voila~ amaryllis incubators. So we have new babies at my household to nurture! I am impressed with age of the seed and the germ rate. I would have thrown away seeds if not asked here of the potential outcome. I am putting them back in the window. None of the waters look contaminated. I will keep you all posted on their progress over the next 5 years!! Lol

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

YAYAY Cindee :) I can't wait to see the crosses in the future :)

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Cindee: you don't have to wait for 5 years. The seedlings from Ann's seeds that I got in Summer 2007 bloomed for me last April-May. Literally it took about 2.5 years, half the time you said.

Congrats on the germinations. I look forward to seeing them grow and bloom soon.

Xuan

• cindeea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Xuan, I know-I was being DRAMATIC about the 5 years! ha ha Actually, I also have some of Ann's seeds that bloomed like yours-before any other seedlings even my own! I m so glad my seeds were successful for you, too. I promise to make some beaautiful combinations to share with you again this year!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Cindee, That is just amazing..! I was always hurrying to plant seeds within a few weeks, and now there is no need.. thanks to your "discovery" Do you think that the humidity in Florida (even though you have air-conditioning) helped to keep them from drying out? Happy growing and I'm sure you'll have some gorgeous results!

Donna

• cindeea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now for an update: 2009 seeds
    Floated Nov. 17, 2010
    Planted Dec. 11, 2010

San Remo x Vera all 17 with roots and 7 have green sprouts shooting up.
    Rembrandt x Vera all 16 have roots.
    Limona x self 8 have roots the other 5 I planted anyway since I can see/feel growth under the seed cover.

They are sitting in the sunny spare bedroom window. I'll take pics as more green starts to emerge.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Oh goodness, I think I threw away some extra seeds sent to me a couple of years ago. If I find more (quite possible) I will try them just to see how they did here in this climate!
    Congratulations on your new babies!

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hi Cindee. I tried the float method with the seeds you sent me. I got 2 of the limona seeds to germinate for sure, and there are 2 that have swelled a bit but not actually broken out of the capsule (they have been floating since 12/20). So about a 25% rate for limona. With the San Remo crosses I got about a 50% germination rate 8 sprouted for sure and about 6 more "maybes". I have planted them into potting soil now and am waiting for leaves to show themselves. Thanks again for sharing!

Sponsored
More Discussions