Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

post you 1st butterflies for 2008

Michelle Reynolds
16 years ago

hello

I would like to do a tracking post, if you all can help.

please post the first siting for each of your common butterflies, I will get a map and plot them. since I will not be seeing butterflies for a wile yet it will give me an idea when they show up where. If I can find a way to post the maps I will. for those in the southern states that already have butterflies just post what you have now.

I found a few tracking sites (thanks) but they are only for 3 butterflies.

I want to do mapes for

red admerals

black swallow tails

tiger swallow tails

spice bush swallow tails

giant swallow tails

pipevine swallow tail

question marks

painted ladies/american ladies(I can't tell them apart)

verigated fritilaries

monarchs

queens

sulfers(all in one group)

blues(in one group)

viceroy

baltimore

skippers (in group )

buckeye

red-spotted purple

hairstreaks( in a group)

coppers(in a group)

If you could just give posts like

"1st buckeye in west central Illinois on 4/10"

I will plot each post on a map, and I will try to post the maps this summer or I could mail them to anyone who wants a copy.

thanks

michelle

Comments (107)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hello everyone
    I have a few to post west central Ill
    black swallow tail - 4-22
    whites - 4-20
    painted lady - 4-20
    little blue of some kind - 4-20

I have all you posts plotted, I was a little behind but this rainy day was a purfect time to catch up.
    thank you for all the posts I just love to hear about all your sitings
    michelle

• mcronin
    16 years ago

More firsts from Camelot in SW VA

Orange sulfur 4/23

tattered Monarch 4/25 the first one I've ever recorded this early.

mike

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Sandy, I've been seeing the Silver Spotted Skipper here, too, just forgot to report them. Do you grow a host plant for them? I need to check my neighbor's wisteria, since that is listed as one of their hosts - no way would I grow wisteria! I can barely keep up with the plants I CAN reach, without dealing with that monster. LOL!

Susan

• jmcat
    16 years ago

It's not on your list, but I was very excited to see a Milbert's Tortoiseshell today around the Denver area! This is my first sighting this year, and my second sighting total. I really need to find some nettles...
    -Jmcat

• butterflyalley
    16 years ago

Hello, I have not read or posted in a long time. I do keep track of when I see butterflies. Baton Rouge has some complicated weather.Some butterflies we have all year. they come out and fly whenever there is a warm day. I had gulf fritillaries in January and Giants in February. The Tigers came with the Azaleas in March.I found a Carolina Satry chrysalis when I was clearing leaves in February. it eclosed around the 25th. Next were the Question marks. I have found my list for the specific dates in April.
    4-1 Giant Swallowtail- eggs on Lime.
    4-5 watched Satyr lay egg on grass
    4-10 Tiger swallowtail nectaring on weedy Honeysuckle ( Japonica)
    4-11- Monarchs on Curasavica (only) at Nursery ( next to other milkweeds)- I bought the plants with eggs and baby cats
    4-12 Red spotted purple laid egg on cherry
    Silver spotted skipper nectaring on phlox and sunning on wisteria
    4-13 Viceroy loving some rotting pear. question marks( 2) sunning and jockying for position on that rotting pear.
    4-18 Red spotted purple on rotting pear. eggs on all 3 cherries. Giant swallowtail eggs on Hop tree and Mandarin.
    2nd instar cats.
    Misc. sulphurs.
    4-25 SSskipper eggs on wisteria, beans and hop tree hatched- cats in their leaf houses
    4-26 found cats on Hackberry- too tiny for positive id but acting like american snouts and correct body type and color for snouts. (Excited because these are new for me)
    sometime in March or April had pearl crescent and pipevine nectaring on homestead purple verbena.
    there were some eggs on the willow-possibly viceroy, coneflower leaves being munched- maybe pearl crescent.
    Mustard being munched, butterfly style-( moths destroy it, butterflies nibble) never found cats. getting worried because my tall verbena is in full bloom and typically had butterflies all day on it last year. now only the silver spotted skipper has been around.( wisteria is next to one verbena) it is not because it has been too cool. Good to hear there are better populations elsewhere.
    happy sighting to all.

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Spotted today:

Texas Crescent
    Orange Sulphur

Susan

• butterflymomok
    16 years ago

Susan,

Texas Crescent? Wow! This is early for them, isn't it? We are in for another phenomenal year. I had a Cloudless, a PL, and a Goatweed in my yard today. I was only out a brief time, so who knows what else is blowing through.

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping in the BFs.....

Sandy

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

I saw my first Zebra Longwing on Monday, April 28th. It was a female and she laid eggs on my Passiflora Careula. she came back on Tuesday but I haven't seen her today.

• mcronin
    16 years ago

Sandy,

April 30 SW VA( in Camelot-my one-acre butterfly sanctuary)

Pearl crescent

mike

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Mary, the ZLWs layed eggs on your P. ceurulea? That's not common is it? I've always heard they used P. incarnata and hybrids, and P. lutea, but never ceurulea. I know the VFs are not supposed to use P. ceurulea either and I've never found one on either the 'Lavendar Lady' (probably because of the "other" parent) or P. ceurulea so far.

Congrats on the ZLWs - they are gorgeous!

Sandy, the red-banded hairstreaks are hanging around like crazy. Must have overwintered in leaf mulch around the yard somewhere. I also have that stupid red wasp hanging around again - just one, but I'd like to wap him with a flyswatter if I can catch him. He flies low around the plants just waiting for a vulnerable caterpillar!

Susan

• chmpgntst
    16 years ago

I'm in Rockville, MD, a few miles north of Washington DC. I saw my first Tiger Swallowtail last Friday (4/25) and my first BST today (5/1) -- she was laying eggs on my parsley! Hooray!

Amy

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Susan,
    Seems like I had a few on my Careula last year but I immediatley put them on my Incarnata to feed. I haven't checked today but they hadn't hatched yesterday afternoon. I bought the vine from Butterfly World Conservatory and they said ZLWs and Gulf Frits use it. There were lots on GFs on their vines at that time.

• LaurelLily
    16 years ago

I've raised a few rounds of Monarchs already this year... but that is it!

Somebody please send the Gulf Frits my way, before my passionvine engulfs everything else trying to grow in that bed (I'd hate to cut it back, I was always OUT of food last season for the gulf frits). And the frogfruit, oh it's going wild... and the Parsley and fennel is just going yellow and needing to be trimmed, instead of being chewed down to stems.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

The trees have not even leafed out yet here. Bummer...

• eclectic_gardener
    16 years ago

Had a Polyphemus Moth almost the size of my hand!
    I think it was around 4-21!
    It was stunning :)
    Mostly sulfers in my garden now.
    EG

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Yesterday while Sandy was here - a Painted Lady butterfly!

Susan

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Today:

Mama BST laying eggs on fennel and Rue!

• lepalot
    15 years ago

On May 4 I saw Spicebush Swallowtail, Pearl Crescent, Eastern tailed-Blue and Sleepy Duskywing for the first time this year in SW Pennsylvania.

• mcronin
    15 years ago

More firsts from Camelot in SW VA

May 6

Question mark

Hairstreak (sp.)

mike

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

Saw my 1st Monarch in the yard yesterday, May 6th.

BTW, everything seems to love my Phlomis tuberosa, which bloomed for the first time this year. It has pink blooms and really is a lovely plant. The silver-spotted skipper loves it, too.

Susan

• mcronin
    15 years ago

A surprise first from Camelot in SW VA.

Last fall, I carefully? cleaned the cage that is used to raise cats. I even used Clorox to clean all the mesh and plastic parts. I've yet to find a cat/chrysalis to put in the cage this year. Yesterday morning I noticed something fluttering in my butterfly cage and found a beautiful Black swallowtail. My wife released it into our butterfly sanctuary.

mike

• butterflymomok
    15 years ago

Michelle,

I got my first Variegated Fritillary yesterday, May 9th, in Broken Arrow, OK, NE Oklahoma. She was looking for a place to lay eggs, and my P incarnata is up. I also saw my first American Snout for the year on May 8th.

Sandy Schwinn

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

Yippee, Sandy!!! Hoorah!!!!! I will have that little A. purpurescens for you next weekend, too!

I should give you 2 and keep one, cuz I'm sure you have more room for it in your garden. Mine is rapidly filling up!

I saw Question Marks on the feeder I put up yesterday. Was beginning to wonder if I was going to see any at all. And, that little Texas Crescent is still hanging around.

Susan

• jmcat
    15 years ago

I went hiking today, and saw several species for both my first time and my first time this year. I know not all of these species are in your listing, but I saw:
    Anise Swallowtail (Papilio zelicaon)
    Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
    Sheridan's Hairstreak (Callophrys sheridanii)
    California Tortoishell (Nymphalis californica)
    Comma of some kind.
    This was at Mount Falcon Park.
    -Jmcat

• lepalot
    15 years ago

My first Pipevine Swallowtail was on May 9, 2008 and a Dreamy Duskywing and Silver-spotted Skipper on May 10. In western PA.

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

I saw a Funereal Duskywing two days ago (Erynnis funeralis).

Susan

• lepalot
    15 years ago

1st Zabulon Skipper today May 13, 2008 in western PA.

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

1st Hayhurst Scallopwing today!

Susan

• napapen
    15 years ago

Napa Ca. saw my first Painted Lady - in perfect condition so probably just emerged.

Penny

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I saw my first male Giant Swallowtail on Sunday, May 11th
    in lakeland, Fl.

• butterflymomok
    15 years ago

Susan,

Good find!

Have you checked to see if the Hayhurst Scallopwing has been reported for OK County? You can check by going to Tulsa Audubon Society web page and clicking on butterflies. You will find the species' data sheets. If it hasn't been reported and you have a photo, submit it to John Fisher. I don't think there is anyone actively reporting sightings in OK county.

Sandy

• lepalot
    15 years ago

The first Question Mark, American Copper, Hobomok Skipper and Indian Skipper were seen today in southern PA.

• saturniidaebreeder
    15 years ago

first cabbage bf and painted lady!!!!

• jrcagle
    15 years ago

1st Tawney-Edged Skipper (Polites themistocles). It's early! (Unfortunately, no photo proof -- but I'm confident in the ID for what it's worth)

Jeff

• jmcat
    15 years ago

I saw my first Two-tailed Swallowtail (Papilio multicaudata) today in the Denver metro area. It then flew across the street from where it had been, and looked like it was fluttering around with another one.
    -Jmcat

• mcronin
    15 years ago

More firsts from Camelot in SW, VA.

Tawny emperor( two weeks earlier than 2007)

mike

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

Saturday, 05/17/08, I saw an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (yellow) going crazy on my azalea, and a Painted Lady.

• mcronin
    15 years ago

A LIFETIME first in Camelot in SW VA.

5/20 Cobweb skipper ( They're rather nondescript and hard to ID. I've probably just missed them in past years.)

mike

• tdogmom
    15 years ago

I haven't posted here BUT last weekend (May 17th) I spotted:

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
    Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antopia)
    West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella)
    Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae)

The West Coast Lady and Gulf Fritillary were both ovipositing. :)

• terrene
    15 years ago

Yesterday saw the first Black Swallowtail nectaring on some Lilacs. What a beauty! - Metrowest Boston

• minnesotastan
    15 years ago

First black swallowtail in Madison Wisconsin 05/20/08

• mcronin
    15 years ago

Michelle,

Congrats on a great thread. It is very rare to have a thread attain 100 responses and you clearly will go way over that.

Another first for Camelot in SW VA

Fritillary (sp.) I couldn't get close enough to determine what species. BTW, This beats my earliest Fritillary ever by 3 days.

mike

• jrcagle
    15 years ago

Firsts from Patuxent State Park, Montgomery Co., MD. for 5/24/08:

* Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) -- later in the year than usual, take with caution.
    * Silver-Spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus)
    * Spicebush Swallowtail (Papillio troilus)
    * Puddle party!

{{gwi:455309}}

Jeff

• jrcagle
    15 years ago

Saw the first Sachem (Atalopedes campestris) today, 5/24/08. This is early for this skipper, but it's too lightly marked to be Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius), I think.

{{gwi:455310}}

Jeff

• jrcagle
    15 years ago

Firsts in Carroll Co., MD on 5/25/08:

* Zabulon skipper (Poanes zabulon)
    * Red-Banded Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops)
    * Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes)

• susanlynne48
    15 years ago

Think we should start a "Part II" thread since this one is getting kind of long? I don't know what the limit is for replies, but I know it used to be 100 when Spike was running it.

*Dun Skipper
    *Fiery Skipper

Susan

• terrene
    15 years ago

I think the limit is 150 posts on a thread.

I saw the first Eastern Tiger Swallowtail today in the yard, metro-west Boston area.

Here is a link that might be useful: air cleaner

• lwilliams
    15 years ago

Hi randy. I'm replying to your photo's you posted. I wanted to tell you how bueatiful they are. I'm in the city & I haven't seen any beauties yet, but do love the butterfly & haven enjoyed your pics.
    Cheers ... Linda

• mcronin
    15 years ago

Jeff,

Great photos.

More 2008 firsts in our one-acre butterfly sanctuary "Camelot."(SW VA)

Red-spotted purple 5/26

Great spangled fritillary 5/26

mike

• mcronin
    15 years ago

More "firsts" from Camelot in SW VA.

5/30

Giant Swallowtail Last year was the first time I'd ever seen a Giant swwallowtail in Camelot and it was during a garden party on July 7.

Hackberry emperor

Sachem

Coral hairstreak

mike

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County