Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuitzy

Bar Counter Height...Is It Old Fashioned?!?

zuitzy
11 years ago
We are still in the middle of our kitchen remodel, with our "temporary" furniture-grade plywood countertops and we are having a hard time making decision number 6,492, which happens to involve the design of the bar for our peninsula. We are trying to decide if we want to have a raised bar, with taller stools, or if the bar should be the same level as the countertop, with shorter stools.

Many of the images that inspire me do not have a raised bar, but I really like hiding a direct view of the sink (which is located on the same workstation as the bar) from my guests. I tried to pick sample photos which have materials similar to our very eclectic mix of contemporary ebony cabinets, industrial hardware and scraped wood floors.

Am I being old fashioned? What do you think?
Should the bar be HIGHER than counter level?
Should the bar be the SAME LEVEL as the counter top?

Comments (26)

• Emily H
    11 years ago
    I go back and forth with this one, as I think it depends a bit on the kitchen it's in. For me, I know I like having large flat expanses of counter to look at, but at the same time, I like the idea of hiding the dishes out of view from another portion of the room.
  • PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    11 years ago
    I prefer counter height for most kitchens.
  • PRO
    Davin Interiors
    11 years ago
    Based on your thoughts and the photos you included, I'd go with the counter height and lower stools - I use them often and don't think it's old-fashioned, it's more of what your particular situation calls for. Good luck!
  • cvanduz
    11 years ago
    I think it will depend on what is more important to you. I am in the middle of kitchen remodel and am making the switch to same level countertops. I lived with the raised ones that hid the sink for 16 years. While it was great "hiding" those unsightly dishes in the sink, I am really looking forward to having a great area for putting out lots of food when company is over. I couldn't do that with the higher counter; I found it more restrictive. Good luck with your remodel, I am sure it will be great no matter what you decide.
  • megbrook
    11 years ago
    I went around and around about the same idea, liked the expanse of counter top, but not the view of the sink, or the higher stools. Finally decided to get a great looking slim planter box, maybe metal and put in something interesting...maybe the artificial grass that is still popular, maybe a real garden of herbs. It can be moved when island is being used for entertaining, or it can stay, as long as it is slim.
  • PRO
    Flawless Interiors Inc.
    11 years ago
    I always find counter height more functional. It works better for baking, kids doing crafts or homework and family style eating. Good luck with your renovation!
  • duignan
    11 years ago
    I've just put in two counter height islands - one has backless stools, other had upholstered stools with backs and arms - everybody seems to hang out at these when we have company. Having islands and counters same height makes for clean sharp look
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    You know you want to hide the sink mess, right? So go with your gut and do the two level counter.
  • mairavb
    11 years ago
    We just went through the same thing. In the end we went with counter height... expands space, helps the spaces connect better, better for kids.
    To solve the dishes problem we just got a deeper sink to hide more. Also it encourages clean up ;)
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I noticed you said peninsula, not island.
    For me, islands work best at the same level, they act like a great big table for the gang to gather around when having a party, but peninsulas are a 50-50!!
    I also noticed you mentioned "bar" for guests....are you big entertainers?
    Having a raised counter can be a great spot to perch the hors d'oeuvres, while keeping guests out of the kitchen, but then again, having a cool sink on the peninsula at counter height can be a great thing to fill with ice and chilled wines!
    HOW you plan to use the kitchen may help you determine what works best for you. Will you want to perch there with a coffee and a laptop? Then one level will give you more spread out space.
    Do you have a table close by, so that is where you would relax in the kitchen? Then a raised counter would work just fine.
    There is truly not one best solution, it is all incredibly personal, and depends a great deal on what works best for you MOST OFTEN.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    How weird is that, half the posts are gone, and several were really awesome!! Glad you were able to "save" them!
    Let us know the outcome, you have been a fun person to help!
  • zuitzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No kidding WGP and thanks, your comments were so on point! The whole post and response string and sample photos disappeared until this evening when it was partially restored. I've asked Houzz to look into it because I feel badly that so many great folks took the time to help and got deleted...ACK. Sorry guys!!
    I love this site and really enjoy the conversations!
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I have had both, and I would definitely go with counter-level - it's much better for entertaining, and will open up your kitchen. You can always accessorize your island with a long planter, or something else when you want to hide the sink, but you'll have a lot more flexibility.
    (PS Counter height is not old-fashioned at all by the way - on the contrary, they are very current. In my last neighborhood, everyone who had the raised bar were tearing them out and replacing them with counter-height).
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I guess that my comments were part of what was lost. Briefly, if you plan to use the counter for buffet service, I am short enough (5'4") that I find it hard to serve myself from that height, especially if the food is in a deep dish. Getting the food has to happen at nose level. Hence, depending on how tall your family and friends are and if there are grannies or children, the two-level might pose problems.
  • zuitzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Good point Yvonne...thanks for taking the time to repost your comments!
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    Hi Everyone, We had a glitch yesterday and lost a few responses to this discussion. Sorry about that! If you would like to repost if yours is missing, that would be fantastic. Again...really sorry.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    personally i like the idea of the 2 levels...but i am one of those people that like to "serve" people and not make them feel like they have to help me while entertainling. If they see me washing a glass or dish or something they may want to run around and help. That's just me though. I worked in restaurants for many years, so it may be a leftover response from that! haha!
  • Jubi Arriola_Headley
    11 years ago
    My two cents - I feel like the one level makes it look more streamlined - and my partner and I do the type of entertaining that usually encourages folks to join in the cooking/drinkmaking/wine uncorking, etc. In other words, we're not so concerned about the separation of host/guest. I also assume that an extra deep sink will take care of hiding dirty dishes - but I'm 5' 11" so reaching into a 10" deep sink isn't a big deal for me. I have heard some shorter folks mention that it's harder to get down into a deeper sink.
  • graciel57
    11 years ago
    I voted for the same height countertop on the bar. The space is more useable, at least I think so. ;) As far as dirty dishes in the sink, if it's family, is shouldn't matter too much, and if it's guests, you probably make sure the sink is empty and clean before they come in the door, anyway. And who is going to care that over the course of the evening that the dirty dishes end up in the sink when it was obviously clean when they came in.
  • PRO
    Dorman Associates, Inc.
    11 years ago
    We do both in our more contemporary remodels. It really depends on your personal preference & living habits. ie. If you would like to have the kids sit at the counter and do homework while you're cooking, then perhaps a higher level bar top would be better, to prevent any spilling or splashing from hitting their books. It also is nice to hide any messes you may be saving for cleanup later on. The flush counter is nice if you have limited working counter space elsewhere in the kitchen, and also for serving (large platter dishes, etc.) I think either approach serves well for a contemporary look with the right finishes & clean lines.
  • PRO
    Glentruan Furniture Ltd.
    11 years ago
    I think these bar stools would look great, and unique in this kitchen. The joinery detail is very nice., and using American Hardwoods always works ;)
  • PRO
    Applesteam Limited
    8 years ago

why not think about a third option, the bar dropped to dining table height, it could wrap around the normal height work area? It would give more options with seating, you could use normal dining chairs, which are more comfortable than bar stools. it would also mean that you could have extra power outlets in the front of the raised part so you can use the breakfast bar to use laptops or pads while charging, it gives a nice separation from dining to food preparation.

• Kerri Seibert
    8 years ago

I think either or is fine but I prefer it higher. I have one that is level which makes it nice too when I am baking with my daughter as she sits across from me.

• jmr412
    8 years ago
    I have the two level and I love it. Actually never thought about the 'hiding the dishes' aspect. I like having guests or my daughters sitting at the counter out of my way but still able to hang out.
  • Elsa
    8 years ago
    We just built our home & chose a counter level island. It's perfect for entertaining - serving food and drinks, love the big expansive space! Also great for baking, making homemade pizza's, eating at the counter, etc. I thought about the dishes being exposed as well. Our main sink (really large and deep) is not in the island, but in a perimeter counter, so we stack dishes there - in sink &/or next to it, and tell our family/guests that we will tend to them later, it's most important to visit with them. The island countertop stays looking clean. We do have a prep sink in the island for washing hands, or if main sink being used. I love our open floor plan and kitchen. We recently decided to get rid of our new counter stools with backs and go for backless (or lower backs) counter stools for a cleaner look. All we'll see then is the large pretty countertop and the kitchen backsplash and pretty cabinets. So excited! Good luck, go with your gut, for what's right for you.