Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildhoney130

What should I do with my overgrown Aloe Vera?

wildhoney130
13 years ago

My tiny grocery-store aloe vera plant has outgrown the space I'm willing to give it. The longest spike is 18" long and the plant is sprawled out wide instead of standing tall and spikey.

I'd be willing to keep it if I could "straighten it up" so it wouldn't be so wide.

If I can't make it smaller, I'll just start over with it's lonely pup. I'm worried that the pup will grow up fast and wide like it's mama though. Can I "train" the pup?

Thanks.

Comments (2)

• MojaveLove
    13 years ago

Do you have a picture you can post?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

They'll grow as fast or as slow as you allow them to. If you want the plant narrower, cut the bottom-most leaves (if that's something you don't find aesthetically displeasing. A mature Aloe vera will be about 3' tall and about as wide. If you want it to grow smaller, I'd suggest getting rid of it and getting a miniature aloe. You could start over with the pup, which is fine, since you already know what the end result will be (it will get too large and you'll have to do the same thing) but you'll have the fun of growing them up (and perhaps giving the mature one to a friend who does have the space).