Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenguy1

'Scarlet Baby' and 'Limona'

greenguy1
17 years ago

I potted up three bulbs of 'Scarlet Baby' 12 days ago (all in one pot, I like the smaller cultivars when they are massed), not a single scape or leaf was showing its nose. The first bloom is opening today on a 16" scape, and all three bulbs will be flowering within the week. Those bulbs must have been rarin' to go! I had one a few years ago that multiplied like crazy for me, hoping for the same with these new ones.

'Limona', potted at the same time, is about a week behind. Anybody have personal experience with the relative greenness of 'Limona' versus 'Lemon Lime?'

- Steve

Comments (12)

• raydio
    17 years ago

Here's some pictures of what I bought tagged as 'Limona'.

{{gwi:441924}}

{{gwi:443371}}

{{gwi:443372}}

{{gwi:443373}}

Robert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some discussion of 'Limona' at DG.

• plant_guy
    17 years ago

Steve,

That pot is too small for your bulb. If you want the bulb to get bigger and perhaps grow offsets, you need at least a 2" larger pot.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Amaryllis Page

• tokyomafia
    17 years ago

that looks like what i bought from smith and hawkens in march. they had them labeled as "Cameo" - s&h often uses new made up names.

• cindeea
    17 years ago

raydo, what a stunning and tall plant you have. Very pretty indeed. I love the pale wisps of pink. How tall is it? I can't believe it has no support and is like a pillar.

• raydio
    17 years ago

It's 23" to the top of the pods. The second scape is about 1.5" shorter at the umbel.

It is a tall one to be sure.

Since it isn't growing any new roots yet, I have stuck three popsickle sticks against the bulb to hold it upright. I may add some rocks around the bulb to help keep it upright. One little bump and over-she-goes!

Robert.

• soultan
    17 years ago

It is a nice flower. I will plant mine soon, and take some pictures, so we can compare... I will show you mine if you show me yours. :o) I think. based on the pictures that I can find from Limona, the variety you got might have been derived from Limona, but it is not pure bred anymore... Still a nice flower. But after this, I'd make a note for myself to rebuy the variety next year. Maybe it turns out to be Limona that time. I did the same with Picotee and Solomon now. Last year these two turned out to be noid and Orange Souvereing... And for some strange flick of fate, they are the two bulbs that froze down in my wine cooler. I am not happy for them for freezing down, buty fortunately I rebought the varieties, because these bulbs were not true to name... Poor frozen bulbs...

• raydio
    17 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing yours! ;-)

Where did you get your Limona? Was it produced by Langeveld?

Robert.

• soultan
    17 years ago

Yes. Langeveld. I bought it in a local Garden Center. I will pot it soon. I just have to wait for Razzle Dazzle to bloom, so I can pot a new bulb.

• soultan
    17 years ago

Sorry Robert,
    I think Limona has to wait for a while. I had to plant a Sugar Candy, because the bulb seems damaged, so I want to make sure it is not viable before I complain about it, then I noticed that Christmas Star has all the three stalks coming out, and one is already fully emerged from the bulb, so I had to plant it before any other, to salvage the flowers. I have to put them in order and plant the one that needs planting the most. I promise you, I will tell you when I plant the Limona and when it's blooming.
    Today my Razzle Dazzle and Aphrodite is opening. Though, from the first signs, it seems like that Aphrodite will turn out to be Nymph, so I will just have to complain about it too.
    I am just a complaining kind of guy.

• paxfleur
    16 years ago

Is Raydio is still around, I would love to hear how he maintained such a straight stalk without the help of a stake? The stalk seems to be really long. Great photo capture of Limona though! =)

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Holy cow! That IS tall! I'm thinking of staking a couple of mine, and they'd be considered dwarf compared to that picture! That is very unusual looking, as far as "tall" goes! It's so straight!

• soultan
    16 years ago

Great photo capture of Limona, but I don't like it to be Limona if you go to Nieuwkerk's web site, you see a beautiful evenly light lime colored bloom, and not one with light brown, dark orange veins...
    That is why I bought another bulb this year, to see if I will get a more evenly colored bloom this year. I did not like that it looked so messy last year as this picture in this thread.