Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosetrackz

Please help me ID this bromeliad.

Moosetrackz
12 years ago

Ive never had one of these before but when I saw it at Home Depot I had to have it. Its such an interesting plant.

It doesnt have any flowers yet but the leaves are such an unusual dark purple and green with little spots and stripes down the middle. The tag just said Bromeliad though so I have no idea what kind it is. If anyone could let me know Id be grateful.

I also would like to know if it makes a good house plant or if I should put the pot outside for better light and heat. I live in SoCal and its been pretty hot lately (75-85).

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromeliad

Comments (18)

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Do you have a more current photo?

• dooleybugs01
    12 years ago

looks like maybe Neoregelia First prize.
    Dooley

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Not likely you would find First Prize in Home Depot

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.

That picture is current. I took it a few days ago. Sorry if the lights a little bad. Ill take some better ones and post them here.

It was the only one at Home Depot and cost about $16. They had other Bromeliads but none were this big or this color and all the others had flowers already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Side pic

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another pic

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

New pic

• User
    12 years ago

"Not likely you would find First Prize in Home Depot"

True Hdd but I've seen some pretty rare things from Rainforest Flora get inadvertantly put out in our local displays simply labeled 'Tillandsia'. Some of the grower's greenhouses are so huge that oftentimes you can cherrypick a rare find.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Moosetrackz, I don't know what it is but I suspect it would look much better, colour wise and shape wise if grown in better light.

Growing it inside all the time will drain the colour unless you have supplemented lighting.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Its probaly Margret. That's what is supplied to Home Depot by DeLand

• dooleybugs01
    12 years ago

Margret doesn't seem to variegated according to the BCR-
    "Leaves semi-glabrous - maroon with dark maroon spines and deep rose leaf tips"
    Dooley.

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

The plant called 'MARGARET' that is sold in the USA is variegated. Plant goes back atleast 10-12 years under the name. Dunno whats in the BCR

• dooleybugs01
    12 years ago

The info i present from the BCR was for MARGARET. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the BCR before suggesting registered names of broms. Maybe you should check your previous post and see how you spelt it.....Maybe there is a unregistered MARGARET you describe as variegated but the registered one is not. any other suggestions?
    Dooley.

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

I don't know what your point is. The BCR has nothing to do with the plant in question. Maybe you have a better suggestion as to the identy of the plant? Seems to be mis-spellings in the above posts, my apoligies for mine.
    Here some reference points

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROMELIAD-Neoregelia-MARGARET-Double-Plant-Sun-Lover-/350471600971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item5199bc3b4b

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROMELIAD-BROMELIADS-NEOREGELIA-MARGARET-/220800714931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3368bf88b3

The plant probably originated from Bullis.

• avane_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry for being a bit late, but I would also say that your plant is Neo Margaret. When Neo First Prize variegated (or as it is called now, Neo Gold Medal)is grown in too little light, it gets irregular blotches of green. Margaret on the other hand will fade uniformly from maroon/burgundy to green. Margaret can also hold on to its colour in much lower light than Gold Medal. But grown in good light, it is a spectacular plant!

This is what mine looks like:

Neo Margaret
    {{gwi:472750}}

Japie

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Hi Japie! :) And thanks for your input. Its a very nice plant and a great addition to any collection.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Seems like my suspicion about it needing to grow with more light may have been right after all.

All the best, Nev.

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your help.

When I found the plant at HOme Depot it was in the inside room and its very dark in there. It was also on a shelf way in the back so I knew it defiantly not getting enough light.

Im keeping it outside now in a dappled light sort of spot. Hopefully it likes it outside and does well.

Its been a bit hot lately. Not too hot, about 85. Is that an ok temp for this plant? It seems to be happy but it was sold to me as a houseplant so Im not sure if it likes to be that warm.

Thanks! :)

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz the plant likes bright indirect or morning light. Here, I am at this time forced, to grow it temps ranging from 99 to 105F. The plant is still thriving.

Sponsored
More Discussions