Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Gollum

lme5573
11 years ago

Another cart jumper from Home Depot, labelled Crassula Argentea cv. Gollum. I don't have Gollum and I fell in love with the red tips, so I added him to the cart.

It's cold and snowy in Michigan, 16F and icy roads. We stopped at HD on our way to grab a few groceries, and I didn't want Gollum to freeze. I had the clerk double bag him, and wrapped him in a blanket from the back seat while we were in the grocery store.

I rushed through the grocery store in record time, my poor husband lagging behind with his gimpy knee. Hurry, hurry, my new plant will freeze!

It was chilly in the truck, but we were only 45 minutes in the store. Gollum made it home and is sunning himself under my plant lights.

Comments (36)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Side by side comparison - Hobbit (left) Gollum (right).

My Hobbit doesn't have dramatic folding leaves, but I managed to get a few curled leaves in the picture.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I love it!! Congrats! Don't you hate plants that jump in your cart? Lol...I love Gollum and Hobbit also, I think they have a lot of personality! Enjoy your new Jade!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Lennie, where are you located in Michigan? Do you belong to the Michigan C&S Society?

Howard

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 16:41

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greetings, Howard! I live in Grand Rapids. I'll have to do a search on the Michigan C&S Society. Maybe I can find a "satellite chapter" on the west side of the state. LOL.
    Lennie

• Jademan2012
    11 years ago

I have that same problem. Every time I'm into any plant nursery something always jumps right in my cart. Like today - went just to look and came home with 2 new cacti. LOL

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Very nice! Love 'Gollum' a lot :-)
    Crassula ovata 'Gollum' for your notes. I also see that yours has a good amount of the skinny
    leaves, along with the trumpet-shaped leaves.

Josh

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

This has been my most colorful 'Gollum' by far. Its even more colorful than my Hummel sunset this year.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

This is one of mine in a south facing window...

Christopher

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Does the color come in the fall with cool temps? I will have to leave my jade plants out longer next fall.
    Puglvr1, how old is your Gollum? Mine has a long way to go, I think.
    Thanks for the pix, I have something to aim for.:-)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks lme5573! For me in FL my Jades/Succulents have the best color in winter (some direct sun along with cold temps) below above 32 degrees have been the trigger. When spring arrives I start losing the pretty colors and by early summer...they are ALL green!

I purchased that 'gollum' in Oct.2010..so I've had it for a little over 2 years.

Christopher, love the pinks and purple on your gollum! Very pretty!!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 12:28

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Pug!! Hope you and your plants are well? Love your Gollum, it looks very architectural! Have you taken the 'leaves' off or have they dropped naturally to give that look? Mine is crammed full of leaves, so much so that I have started to strip the trunk to clear it a little. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    Kaktuskris, your pic is lovely, it reminds me of a sea anemone waving it's tentacles in the ocean, just needs Nemo swimming amongst them to complete the scene!
    Gill from the UK.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Nancy and Gill from the UK, thanks for the nice comments on my jade. This one has truly thrived on neglect, growing lots of leaves, crowded in prime south facing window space. Nancy, I love the look of yours also, but I don't know if I could bring myself to deliberately remove healthy leaves to achieve it.

Christopher

11 years ago

Great pics, guys and gals.

As my Gollums age, the foliage ends up at the tips of the branches as well....
    at which point, it's time for me to start chasing the foliage back toward the trunk.
    They do have a natural sculptural habit, which readily lends itself to bonsai presentation.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Here's my Gollum that I got as a tiny plant in a 2inch pot back in 2010. He's rather leafy being a youngster, but a nice shape I think.
    Gill from the UK.

{{!gwi}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Mmmmh, dunno where he went? trying again....

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Thought I'd cracked this multiple pics to a post lark, but it hasn't worked, so here he is in another pose....

...can someone enlighten me as to how you do post more than one pic per post...thanks!
    Gill from the UK.

11 years ago

Upload pics to a photo-hosting site, then paste the multiple pic codes in this box.

Josh

• lme5573
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gill, your Gollum has a very nice shape. You said he started in a 2" pot, what size pot in the picture?

Keep them coming! Lennie

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lol...I do NOT remove any of my leaves on my 'gollum', they fall off on their own. Like Josh mentioned "As my Gollums age, the foliage ends up at the tips of the branches as well.... That is pretty much how this one has grown also, as a matter of fact I've been thinking maybe next fall I might have to "pug" it or aka (prune it short) so the branches don't look so bare. When I first received it the branches were FULL and plump...slowly over time its "thinned" out while growing longer branches, I think I'm going to try giving it a lot less sun this spring and summer.

Gill, I LOVE the shape/style and size of your 'Gollum'...VERY Nice and healthy!! Great growing!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh, I assumed that with the browse facility you could do it via that. I do use Photobucket as that was how we used to do it so I thought we had bypassed that...thanks!

Hello Lennie, thank you for your comment. Gollum has a flat triangular shape of around 10inches x8 x8 as it has 3 main branches and the pot is 4inches wide. Just found a pic of him as a youngster. Here he is...in the same pot as today.
    {{gwi:490348}}

Hello Pug, hope you are well, and your plants too! Yes I did wonder if you had thinned your plant, but it appears not to be the case. Mine has only dropped a couple of leaves as it's not a mature plant and I did take off a few very low ones to clear the trunk a little. Seems like Crassulas also go bald with age as well as our d/h's eh? Hehe!
    Gill from the UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 17:57

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Honestly, Nancy, I thought you plucked some leaves from your plant to give it that look!

This is the brother of the plant I posted above, in a different setting.

Christopher

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lol...Yes, I can see why it might give that impression. I'm not sure if the reason they "thin" out over the years is because of hot/humid weather for about 9-10 months a year? All of my 'gollum' and 'hobbit' seem to do this over time, they start out being bushy and packed with leaves when first purchased or received and slowly over time, the leaves fall off and thin out naturally...

Hi Gill and Christopher...NICE gollum...love the bonsai pot!

• frankc
    11 years ago

I have a 1.5 meter jade labeled Argentea.Maybe I should label it Ovata.Looking in google's site with dozens of pix has me a little confused. fRANK

11 years ago

Unless Jades are naturally pruned, such as browsing by animals, they will eventually
    develop this look. Jades are often whacked, grown in greenhouses, and then sold to market
    in their thick, bushy state.

Frank, relabel ovata, indeed.

Josh

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

You know I was sitting here thinking as I'm looking at a few of my Jades blooming, I've noticed that I've not seem too many Crassula ovata 'Gollum' or 'Hobbit'. None of mine has ever bloomed. Anyone have any pictures of theirs in bloom? Would love to see some photos...Thanks!

Hi Josh!!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello Nancy, I too asked the very same question on your other thread, but we don't seem to have had an answer in either place as yet. They must flower obviously, but why hasn't anyone posted a pic anywhere. I did a search and came across another thread of mine where I asked this question....we had an answer along with a picture...here's the link.
    Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a pic....

11 years ago

Hello, Nancy and Gill!

Mike posted pics of his Hobbit cuttings in flower....and I see that I wrote the same
    in the linked Thread ;-) And Christopher posted a pic of one of those cuttings, too.

I still think the lack of pics is due to the fact that not as many Gollum or Hobbit are
    grown in-ground (or in favorable climes). As the popularity and availability increase,
    I'm sure that more images will begin to appear. I've posted this old monster before,
    and I'm glad to do so again. If I recall, pic was taken in February or March, so this is
    well after the bloom, really.

Crassula ovata 'Gollum' - post-bloom:

• saj_2002
    11 years ago

that is one awesome plant...

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Holy cow!! :)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

WoW! That is awesome....where is it? Wonder how old it is? We often see the regular Jades in Chinese restaurants over here, but I have yet to see a Gollum. They are a rare find in the stores here as are Hobbits and Hummels.
    Gill from the UK

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Nancy, yes I too recall Randy's posts, wonder where he is now, anyone know? He was quite an authority on bonsai, but has not posted for quite a long while now, I hope all is OK.
    Your plant is well....spectacular! I have never seen so many blooms clustered together. Do you give it any special bloom fertiliser?
    Gill from the UK.

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Great bloomer, Nancy...plus, all you other fine folks with fabulous plants!

Gill, Randy can be found on Facebook these days. Perhaps has shifted his interests to focus on his nature photography (has a separate page for that: Randy Jones Nature Photography). Excellent shots of moose, otter, bear, scenery, etc! He had a show last year (maybe more than 1) featuring his work. =) He's also quite involved with Friends of the Wichitas.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks Gill and Rosemarie!!

Gill, I don't give it any bloom booster...just dyna-gro foliage pro OR Miracle grow at half strength every 2 weeks from late October thru end of March...once our weather gets above 80 degrees during the day consistently I stop fertilizing since mine stops growing pretty much after that.

I have a very small window of growth here in hot/humid FL on my Jades and Succulents...usually 4-5 months a year when the weather is cold/cool. Then everything goes into almost dormancy mode for the rest of the year :o(

• Susan Luckey
    7 years ago

I just received a cutting of a Gollum branch but how do I root it?

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Stick it in dry soil, you might need to use some large rocks to hold it in place. Don't water until you see evidence of roots.

Also, from the leaves I can see, that looks more like a Hobbit.